Lock out Distributor or Not

Old 05-14-2008, 06:08 AM
JLSTOEC
APPRENTICE

Default Lock out Distributor or Not

I am running an MSD billet distributor with mechanical advance and am wondering if there are reasons to lock it out. Its a drag car only with a BBC. The car runs fine but I know most people lock the advance on drag only cars. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 08:51 AM
image4you2see
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Alot depends on compression and what kind of ignition box you are using.

If you have a start retard like most do that lock out timeing then you are fine but if you don't and have a decent amount of compression you could have a hard time getting the car to start with out issues.

Also alot of cars have the timeing locked out because they are using a power adder which is commenly N20 and they do not want the timing to change from were it is.

I hope this helps..
Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Since its a Track only car there is no reason not to lock it out. Its one less thing to go wrong.

Hard starts can easily be overcome by having a seperate ignition switch and turning the engine over and then flipping the ignition on.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Locked is best. you dont want something to happen while at wot.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dcarr511
Since its a Track only car there is no reason not to lock it out. Its one less thing to go wrong.

Hard starts can easily be overcome by having a seperate ignition switch and turning the engine over and then flipping the ignition on.
Hard starts are caused by wimpy ass starters. :lol:
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Drag only cars spend 99% of their time @ WOT so there is no need for a advance curve in the first place. Its the main reason the distributor is locked out, having all of your advance already in aides in throttle response which is especially important in like a footbrake class where you wanting super crisp throttle response off the line.
Hope this helps, Charles
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

My distributor is locked on my car and I have no problem startsint it with no retard.14-1 comp. BBC
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I've heard(never seen)of bad things happening with that starting method.Any truth to it?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:23 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48

I've heard(never seen)of bad things happening with that starting method.Any truth to it?
Ive dont it that way for years, never had any trouble, spin it over a bit then flip the ignition, works great.
Cp
Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48

I have done it that way but I have also seen it blamed for flexplates getting torn up . If the cap isn't indexed correctly it can jump to the wrong terminal and misfire or something like that...at least that's what I am told.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -