trans-brake

Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 AM
macksstreetrod
JOURNEYMAN

Default trans-brake

Hey gang
i have a 2-spd-pg ,with brake...most likely a pro brake i have ist but not reverse.. my ques. is are the plungers spring loaded,in the brake and engage when you hit the button ,then pop back out...mine does not..if i pull plunger out by hand and hit the button it goes in but doesn't com back out,, have tried in nutr. and rev. no reverse..
Dale
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

A pro brake works by either having it in neutral or reverse and usuing the trans brake button at the same time........not sure if u r depressing the button thought i would throw that in..........and the plunger on the solenoid doesn't depress if u r press the button and let it off.........only when u actually use it does
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Dale,
The spool valve on my full tree brakes are spring loaded and I think that the ones on a pro tree brake are also. Was the transmission working before or did you just get this one? If you just got this one, I would unscrew the transbrake solenoid and make sure that the spool valve is there. You will need to drain some fluid or have the rear of the transmission higher than the front. Maybe somebody went to change the solenoid and the spool valve came out and didn't get replaced.

Bill Mitchell
Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
macksstreetrod
JOURNEYMAN

just got this one..cant beleive the seller AT ALL.. Iwas dumb enough to belive him...There is no pre load the sol plunger it moves back an forth freely if i pull it out by hand then hit the button it goes in and stays even when you let off the button....still no rev. The sol unscrews ?dont have to take off pan?
Thanks
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

To see if the spool valve is under the transbrake solenoid, you do not have to remove the pan. The solenoid will unscrew and you should see the valve. I use a magnet to pull it out if it won't spring out. If the valve isn't there, then you will have to pull the pan to see exactly which transbrake valve body you have, so that you can replace the valve (not interchangeable between brands) or the complete valve body.

Since your solenoid will go in (reverse should be working even if there isn't a spring to make it come back out and release reverse) and you don't have reverse it makes me think that the spool valve was left out or is not the correct one for the valve body.

Bill Mitchell
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
macksstreetrod
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Bill
That give me something to work whth will pull it out first thing... trying to get going for sat. big show down here this week....will order one no problem just wanta be sure . Ihave 1-st so makes me think its the brake.
Dale
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

a fluid release pro tree vb does not use a spring, to make it spring return. such as a hipster by hughes and bte pro brakes.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Not all brakes use a spring, some are fluid release. Some pro-tree brakes also require case mods, and won't work right without them. If you pull it out at some point, see if it has the hole pointed out here. If it does, it needs case work.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

so does the tranny not work? what is the problem?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

He stated that he just got the transmission and it has 1st, but no reverse. The solenoid will activate and go in, but there is not any reverse at anytime and the plunger will not come back out. It could be like Mark said that the case is needing the extra holes drilled to pressurize reverse (the case mods that I had seen were for extra dump for the Pro-brake) or the spool valve could have been left out completely.

Bill Mitchell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -