slicks

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Goodyear just had to give a buddy a new set of tires for his camaro because they have a ton of run out on them, like 1 1/2" out of round, they had 25 pases on them and vibrated all the time.

Another buddy needs tires on his 9.50 chevelle he calls them and goodyear tells them to replace tires every 30-45 passes because the tires will be junk.

I noticed a lot of guys with door cars trying to stretch the use of tires out and then they become inconsistent or sidewalls go away fast. Seems rule of thumb on a fast door car is 50 passes, a slow one 100 passes.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
timothysiler
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
How the hell are you managing a 1.03 60' with that combo? Tell me your secret.
Running a 582 Profiler heads on a 9.8 deck block. Using a 33.5x16x16 M/T slick. Running a 30-36 shot in the fogger with 21 degrees of timing at .08 seconds out. Dang It went a 1.06 and stop the clocks with the rear wheels the pass before. Afco Double adjustables with 95 lb springs. car has 49% on front and 51% on back. BTE converter that flashes at 6200 rpms and flat lines till about 1 second in the run and starts its Linear curve from there. We are going to switch to a Slack converter and see if we can get in the 1.01 to 1.02. I need to get the car in a Linear Curve quicker. It is flat lining to long in the 1st gear pull. Also using a powerglide tranny. 4.56 gears. Hoping with a tighter converter we can come on up to a 36-42 in the fogger, but like I said in the NOS forums we are limeted to a 10lb bottle and 1 bottle only with 1 system. I don't want to run out of Nitous before the 1/8th mile mark. My goal is to the the car to run a 4.40 but I don't think my motor has the power to get up on the converter that I will need. Thinking about using a progressive timer to set around 5-10% when on the transbrake then come swith off of the progressive to a constant duty relay as soon as I release the button. I know I can us a little NOS on the brake but just a little
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I don't think you'll gain anything by running NOS on the transbrake. The nitrous should come in the instant you release the transbrake anyway so its not worth the increased cylinder pressures etc using NOS when you're not moving.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
timothysiler
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
I don't think you'll gain anything by running NOS on the transbrake. The nitrous should come in the instant you release the transbrake anyway so its not worth the increased cylinder pressures etc using NOS when you're not moving.
I am not sure if my motor has the power to get up on the converter. Going to go home and put the converter in tonight. If it locks up higher than 4200 on the transbrake with the chip out I am good and will run it like I have been doing. Its suppose to be a pretty tight converter though.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

You need to check with the nitrous system maker how much nitrous/fuel the solenoids can deliver.
I'd forget the .8 sec delay and bring the nitrous in off the line. The 4.56 gears should be plenty.
My buddies car has only one system and he hits it with 500 hp off the line. He runs 4.56 gears too because his car is real heavy and we run quarter miles here. His 10lb bottle lasts the whole run no probs.
I run two systems so launch with a little less and hit it with the second system at .4 - .8 secs. I run 4.10 gears in a MW 9.5" diff. 40 spline gundrilled axles. I run a glide too with a 4500 stall Neal Chance aluminum converter. A lot of money but worth it.

You wanna make sure your rear end can handle a beating. I blew a 9" MW diff apart last season. You'll be needing a good trans cooler too.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
timothysiler
APPRENTICE

Ok, a buddy of mine traded me for my 582 for his 632. We went out with the new motor, a tighter converter, 4.30 gear, same 33.5x16 m/t. Running our 30-36 shot in the fogger and turning it on at .030 from the hit. The car went a 1.009 60ft, 2.94 at the 330ft and a 4.53 at 157mph at the 1/8th mile. Going to see if we can step it up in the 4.40s next time out. Debating on staying with the M/T now. LOL... Just make sure that you measure the Roll out before you drive the car down the track. This is only the 4th pass on the motor since we put it in the car.