wont idle

Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

no guys im not stupid, i took the 650 off because it wouldnt idle, and i put my buddies 750 tht i know works on and the prollem continued,
i am pulling the heads because the valve seals are blown, and need to be changed
overwise there would be no oil on the plugs no miss and no blueish grey smoke in the exhaust,
im not tryin to be a dick, but i wanted help from you guys, u dont gotta make fun, as easy as it may be to do lol
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

and its not idleing because the plugs are fouled from the oil not because of a vaccume leak
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Seals?

You DO Realize that You can CHANGE the Seals w/Out Pulling the Heads off!If its a SBC,and the Heads had a O-Ring type of Seal?Go down to the Local Auto/Machine Shop.Tell the Machinist you Need a set of UMBRELLA Seals for a SBC.They can be Changed with a Moroso Valve Spring Tool 1 @ a Time.And thats a hole Lot easier than Pulling the Heads!
Truthfully,I think the Guides would have to be REAL Bad for this Problem to Happen???
Later
G 8)
Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I have run small blocks with NO valve seals before and never fouled a plug...guides would have to be worn slap out to leak that much oil , I THINK YOUR JETS ARE STUCK OPEN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

but how else would there be tht much oil on the plugs?
it isnt the rings, cus compression was good on all of the cyllinders
Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

ITs probably gas fouled plugs, not oil
Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Could be his Bellhousing gasket blown out :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default gas

I would Also say that its Gas Not Oil?
Let me step out on a Limb and ask?What do you have for IGNITION?
Later
G 8)
Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

SLOW DOWN!!! this is giving me a headache... I can't believe this thread is still going.

Bowhay: I am not the smartest guy on carbs either, but slow down & lets go back to the basics. I agree- valve seals are not why this thing has no/poor idle & is rich.

1. What the is the vacuum read at idle around 2K RPM???
2. Your jets appear to be too big like Tod said.
3. Is the carb too big for the application???
4. Flip the carb over & notice the adjustment for the secondary butterflies... where is it set??? You can over adjust this & cause more problems. have you messed with it?
5. WHERE are the floats set??? primary & secondary??? You said they were "fine"... what is fine to you??
6. Like Tod said, your cam spec will cause a certain amount of vacuum (or lack thereof) at low speed/idle. If you do not have a lot of vacuum at idle, you may be dumping fuel & not enough vacuum to compensate for it. This is why some folks will drill little holes in the secondary butterflies.
7. Are there any other vacuum sources on the motor (P/B Booster) etc...??
8. What distributor? does it have a vacuum advance? Manual? If vac advance, is it the low vac style?
9. Low vac will also dictate which PV you should use as well.... it has to have enough vacuum to open. To determine this, get a vac gauge reading. Randomly changing PV's will cause more confusion.

Lets get all the facts straight. One adjustment at a time without tearing apart everything... note the adjustment/improvement. Once all these facts are answered we can help you better. Scoot
Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Have you ever used nitrous on this engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -