12V to 16V Conversion

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 12v to 16v Conversion

Originally Posted by doorracer
Originally Posted by TheRabbit

I've heard all kinds of stories about somebody knows somebody that had problems yata yata yata, but I've never seen it.
Was this toward me?
Nope, but I hear it all the time from people that have really never tried a 16 volt and the ones that have had problems run the batteries for years which even a 12 volt would be no good after that long.

A friend of mine wanted to try a 16 volt, but another friend talked him out of it. I gave him one of my old batteries and told him to try it. He bought a 16 volt charger and loved the 16 volt set up. The battery didn't last long, but it gave him a chance to try it for a month or so then bought a new battery.

One thing that I have found to help is that using a battery the way we do dischages them pretty hard so I charge it hard (25 amps), until it's charged. I don't trickle charge it at the 5amp setting. I do charge it again a little while before I run, but that's just a peace of mind thing.

And yes, when they die they die hard and harder to jump off. Not that they die any faster, but it just doesn't die slow like a 12 volt.
Also If you run it for a few seasons and it gets weak CHANGE IT or it will die on you.
With that being said, if you go to a 16volt you want go back. IT IS WORTH THE COST if you are a serious racer.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

i know this has been dead for a few months now but rather then start a new one on the same topic... i will just post it here

now... if i switch to 16 volts .. will my tach, gauges and 7al2 box be ok? i run an alt so i know i have to change it :wink:

just a FYI: got a friend who builds batteries and is a guru when it comes to them! now when charging at higher amps it will increase the out power of the battery but will not last as long in between charges ..... if you want the battery to last longer and still have that good zip... you slow charge it a 5 amps till its full... then hit it with a high amp charge for a few minutes ... this will even off the charge in the individual cells. plus doing full charges with higher amp will greatly reduce the batteries life and when it dies...it dies hard and fast!!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

anyone? also im running dual 12v batteries now..... do i need dual 16 volt batteries?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fast75vega
anyone? also im running dual 12v batteries now..... do i need dual 16 volt batteries?
One 16 is all you need.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

One 16 is all you need.
thanks rabbit... what about my other question in the post above that one?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

i know this has been dead for a few months now but rather then start a new one on the same topic... i will just post it here

now... if i switch to 16 volts .. will my tach, gauges and 7al2 box be ok? i run an alt so i know i have to change it :wink:
Everything will be ok.
Like I posted a while back. Make sure to check your fuel pressure. The 16 volt speeds everything up a little and if you have your fuel regulator really close to pushing past your floats the 16 volt battery can be just enough extra to flood your carb.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 AM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

If you're planning on using a charger for the battery, make sure it's compatible for your particular battery. Not all chargers are the same even though they're for 16 v batteries.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Everything will be ok.
Like I posted a while back. Make sure to check your fuel pressure. The 16 volt speeds everything up a little and if you have your fuel regulator really close to pushing past your floats the 16 volt battery can be just enough extra to flood your carb.
I've seen that with the fuel pump also, I've did a lot of testing on wire size to electric fuel pumps on 12v stuff also, most run to small of a wire to them.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Rule of thumb;
Any 'electric motor' is going to be a higher draw item,hence the need for larger gage wire and higher amp fuse or breaker.