days of yore

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

I think you can apply a lot of todays ills it to this,

when I grew up my mom & dad were the kings, my life as a kid revolved around them, dad worked long hours & when he came home we ate dinner, when HE said we did, we werent there you didnt eat. He then went off to his 2nd job.
I worked as a paper boy from 12 yo. When I got working papers at 14 I worked in gas stations. I turned my pay over to my mom & she gave me some spending dough. I tell people that today & they cant belive it, I say hey I had no choice!

I grew up in a crappy neighboorhood even then, we had gangs beating the crap out of everyone, Junkies in the park shooting up, this was in the late 60's.My school days was a war zone with race riots & bussing. In some of our riots the mobsters would come in & beat the black kids with bats, it was straight out of a sopranos episode. School was lucky if you didnt get jumped or worse. I couldnt wait to get out. I joined the airforce the minute I could & thank god for that.

When I got out in 82, unemployment was 18% in my town, & being a jet engine mechanic netted me a 5$ an hour job washing the tarmac at the local airport, veterans were spit on back then & Reagan cut off any chance of unemployment because my 6 years of service wasnt enough, they denied me because i refused suitable employment by not reenlisting! Hows that for hard core!

But back to the turning the pay check over to the family, after being unemployed for the longest period of my life, (4 months 6 interviews a day, every day) my mom gave me a bank book with $900 in it , she took 10$ from every pay i gave her & saved it in a passbook! boy did that come in handy.

My longwinded point, The family used to be all about the parents, now it seems to revolve around the kids. The false sense of entitlement I think contributes to a lot of the problems we face today. I cant remember a time when my dad had to take off work to take me to a ball game, either I got there or I didnt. My neighbors kids cry like a baby if god forbid a parent misses a cheer leader practice. They spend 80% of thier free time shuffling the kids here & there, in my subdivision, the kids get driven across the street to the school! Im not kidding.

My last thing is a funny one, my friends kid was acting the fool & got thrown out of school, the court ordered a shrink.

the verdict was a classic, they shrink told the kid basicly BOO HOO, daddy was a pro race car driver for porsche, he had to race 12 months a year, it was his job, he got paid, he put food on the table & a roof over your head, so what if he didnt go to your game, HE WAS WORKING! get over it, he loved you what more do you want!
They are now best pals.

sorry for the rant
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

i can remember if you acted out the belt came out and your behind got nice and red but you learned now a days you swap your kid for getting outta line you go to jail but yet if the kid get into trouble the parent is at fault and can facee legal repercutions
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
i can remember if you acted out the belt came out and your behind got nice and red but you learned now a days you swap your kid for getting outta line you go to jail but yet if the kid get into trouble the parent is at fault and can facee legal repercutions
This is used at the school level as well. I heard this so many times with my boy, "the parents don't do enough in the way of discipline". Their view of discipline is a time out and negotiating, with children. I had a meeting at the school once, teacher handed me a list of the "problems"? I merely remarked, I myself and most people I grew up with had done all these. Told the counseler, nothing here a good slap upside the head wouldn't cure. Happened to me and I learned not to act out anymore. She didn't understand. Thought I was a terrible person to suggest this. Our meeting was over!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Pdmracing
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
This is used at the school level as well. I heard this so many times with my boy, "the parents don't do enough in the way of discipline". Their view of discipline is a time out and negotiating, with children. I had a meeting at the school once, teacher handed me a list of the "problems"? I merely remarked, I myself and most people I grew up with had done all these. Told the counseler, nothing here a good slap upside the head wouldn't cure. Happened to me and I learned not to act out anymore. She didn't understand. Thought I was a terrible person to suggest this. Our meeting was over!
When I was in 3rd grade the teacher put my head out on the window sill & closed the window(not to kill me or anything but I talked alot)

When I told my mother, she marched me to that teacher & said if I ever gave her crap again, she had permission to whack me!

It worked:-)