Gearing new car

Old 06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

Default Gearing new car

505 BBC, 12:1, Dart 340 heads, Dart Intake, Demon 1295, 150 shot of spray .750 lift cam, 1.76 glide (May switch to a 1.80) 32x14.5 in a 2900lb car. Trying to get it set up for quarter mile and was wondering what gear everyone suggest ?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What rear end ya got ?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
What rear end ya got ?
i was gonna ask that too.... plus..... what converter is he running :wink:
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

oh gawd !!!...that 150hp shot changes everything....

He will need to be given two sets ups..one for the all motor and one for the NOS..You can't have the best of both worlds.....

there is not enough information in My opinion to give a NOS gear set up.
lobe sep on cam, ring gap,tire roll out size, converter,NOS spread, Nos fuel pressure, external fuel supply system, or one big pump, method of timing retard,......just getting started !

this can turn down so many rabbit holes when you throw NOS in the Mix.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

In other words, NOS or NOT ! :shock:

Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default RPM Formula

what about max RPM at the stripe? expected MPH?

MPH x Gear x 336 divide by Tire Diameter in Inches plus Slippage= RPM
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

9 inch rear end. Nitrous is just for help its being mainly built for a N/T car nitrous will not be used every pass. Like I said this is a brand new car rpm range is around 7500. converter I have two a 5000 and a 5500.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

As far as the nitrous I am not worried about that rit now due to the fact it will not be used rite now cause its a new car and just want to get the feel for it before I get into that. I set the car up for a 2 fuel system with a bg280 pump. As far as that goes I am hearing more and more people just say run straight up motor so now the gears are turning again!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by coolracing
As far as the nitrous I am not worried about that rit now due to the fact it will not be used rite now cause its a new car and just want to get the feel for it before I get into that. I set the car up for a 2 fuel system with a bg280 pump. As far as that goes I am hearing more and more people just say run straight up motor so now the gears are turning again!
no you have brought up a good topic and I am glad you did. DD hit it on the head Nos or Not. you just can't have best of both worlds..I understand about the extra 150 shot in a grudge race but even at a 150 shot the engine prep work such as, ring gap, lope speration on cam, tighter converter and a higher gear,we can get into many other things but I think you get the point.. what I mentioned above will cause you to lose a good bit on the motor side of the run...and its mandatory minimum stuff for running NOS effective and efficent or you run a great chance of hurting your equipment with not a lot of ET there to gain to start with

understand Big CI engines with exotic Big chief heads etc...Can handle 200hp shot and down and be a little more forgiving..in other words you can cheat it up a little on the cam etc...as long as you stay small on the NOS hit...with that said your 505ci is not considered a large ci engine, your also running conventional heads so you really need to treat it as a large small block IMO, When it comes to NOS..Again ( jmo)

If I were you since you mentioned N/T I assume you are setting up some grudge races...right ??? If so I would concentrate on being all HP and put more effort on losing weight and learning to conceal the weight loss and swear its 3800lbs no mater what !!!!!!! 8)

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

NO pvc pipe for the roll cage though ! :shock:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -