Has anybody ever sold an Engine on here.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
turbinetom
APPRENTICE

I've been trying to sell a 565 Big Chief on here for months and cannot even get insulted with an offer (OK..lay it on me..I'm asking for it..I know)
I'm offering the motor at less than cost, and with nothing more than dyno time....bizzare
Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by turbinetom
I've been trying to sell a 565 Big Chief on here for months and cannot even get insulted with an offer (OK..lay it on me..I'm asking for it..I know)
I'm offering the motor at less than cost, and with nothing more than dyno time....bizzare
If you were to give the ad # your plug would more effective. Just a thought.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I haven't bothered trying to sell an engine on here. It would be interesting to see how many the BIG advertisers on here sell. The ones that have 40 or 50 advertisements on here. Some have decent prices, where, at that price, I could still make enough on it to be worth it, Those are the ones I look at the adds, and can tell they are a legit shop. The other ones, where they are just way to cheap, I shake my head, and say to myself, why even bother. You can;t be making hardly anything on it. Those are the ones I can just tell are hacks. It is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, that the cheapest price, is ALWAYS not worth it. Come on, how many times in your life have you bought the cheapest anything, and were really impressed with its quality, or taste, or how long it lasted? Never. One shop that advertises a ton on here, that has been highlighted a TON on the scammer section, I believe they have the record for the longest post, and the most hits and views. I have fixed a few of those cheap engines, and I can say for sure, you get what you pay for. One guy I worked with, had what we later refered to as the worlds slowest 565, it was quite pathetic. And, he even had a dyno sheet for 960hp. That turned out to be off by about 150. Anyhow I am rambling.

Frank
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Regarding Selling an Engine

Originally Posted by Scorpion1110
I have never sold an engine on RJ- However when I sell any engine or transmission, in vehicle or not, I provide a photocopy of all receipts showing machine work or parts.

I keep originals to calculate my cost basis and profit margin, but providing the receipts offers a fair measure of protection as well as credibility on what I am selling. I would never represent any item based on what a prior owner had told me without personal verification.

If you have any support for what your are selling it might differentiate your add to get it sold.

Also shipping is always an issue-offer a link to www.uship.com, a buyer can post a shipment of an item like your motor that he is thinking of buying and then get transport bids. I moved a 32 ford pickup body/cab/bed/fenders from Green Bay to MD for $325.

Maybe this will help you get it sold

Scorp
That's the right way to do it. A detailed description of all the parts and work that has been done to the enigine or trans with dated photocopies of all the invoices and receipts. I doesn't make for a guarantee but it sure makes a buyer feel more comfortable. Racing engines are a lot of money and the buyer should expect detailed reports and receipts.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Pwmax
I haven't bothered trying to sell an engine on here. It would be interesting to see how many the BIG advertisers on here sell. The ones that have 40 or 50 advertisements on here. Some have decent prices, where, at that price, I could still make enough on it to be worth it, Those are the ones I look at the adds, and can tell they are a legit shop. The other ones, where they are just way to cheap, I shake my head, and say to myself, why even bother. You can;t be making hardly anything on it. Those are the ones I can just tell are hacks. It is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, that the cheapest price, is ALWAYS not worth it. Come on, how many times in your life have you bought the cheapest anything, and were really impressed with its quality, or taste, or how long it lasted? Never. One shop that advertises a ton on here, that has been highlighted a TON on the scammer section, I believe they have the record for the longest post, and the most hits and views. I have fixed a few of those cheap engines, and I can say for sure, you get what you pay for. One guy I worked with, had what we later refered to as the worlds slowest 565, it was quite pathetic. And, he even had a dyno sheet for 960hp. That turned out to be off by about 150. Anyhow I am rambling.

Frank

Spot On Frank !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "