Got to love the idiots of this world

Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Got to love the idiots of this world

So i was workin on my truck last night (99 silverado withe 4.8 v8) I had to cut the cats out they were chokin up the motor. My manifolds had been leakin a bit so i figured it was a good time to rip those off and put in new gaskets too

well anyways who ever the idiots that had my truck before me must of treid to do the same thing be cause 3 bolts are busted and they must of jsut said the hell with it and left it.

There is about 1/4 in of stud thats stickin out of the head. any good idea for gettin these broken bolts befor i go and do somethign and make it worse haha
thanks nick
Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Did you try spaying them with WD40 or something like that and try turning them out with a vise grips?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

i have not do nothing yet. i got to the point last night and jsut got pissed off and said to hell with for the night. i was thinkin that is what im goin have to do but who knows everyone here is always full of great idea.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

True. These guys are full of knowledge. If you do try the WD40 just be sure to let it sit on there for a few mins before trying to turn it out.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Snap-on makes a great stud extractor, i have a set in my box at work and here in my shop, the more pressure you put the tighter they grip.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Snap-on makes a great stud extractor, i have a set in my box at work and here in my shop, the more pressure you put the tighter they grip.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
x2

pb blaster is sweet stuff also
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Weld a nut on them and screw them out
Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If you can get the extractor I'd do that ...if not tach weld a nut to it.....I would put the nut on and weld the center of it up, don't weld on the outside of the stud you could undercut it and make it smaller ,causing it to twist off when you try and unscrew the stud.

ALSO,Many might disagree, but As long as you are careful and avoid getting it on the paint....one of the best things I've ever used to get a rusty bolt loose is BRAKE FLUID. PB Blaster is what I normally use but have used brake fluid many times while in a junkyard..JMO
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

thanks for the great ideas ill give them a shot this weeknd and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Heat the stud up with an oxy/accet torch to a glowing red, then touch a candle to it. The wax will wick into the threads. Let it cool completely to the touch and then twist it out. Magic.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -