question about bbc o ring block/heads

Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
bowler
SENIOR BUILDER

Default question about bbc o ring block/heads

I bought a bbc and the block (.100 over 454) has o rings, it came with solid copper head gaskets and the aluminum heads do not have o rings, my question is can i use a MLS head gasket with or without the o rings?. Thanks Doug
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

:?: Doug, why don't you check the groove size and get some more wire to put in them. Good Viberations sells the stainless wire for that purpose. I'm not sure about using the MLS gaskets, but you can use copper without the O'ring wire. You can use copper gaskets over and over, just like the top fuelers and top funny cars do..

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
bowler
SENIOR BUILDER

Default bbc

Zip the o rings are still in the block, that seals the block but i'am worried that they might leak water? as they only go around the cylinders, thanks Doug
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I've had good luck using Hylomar with copper head gaskets. Make sure to let it tack up (usually about 10 minutes) before installing the gasket on the engine.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fla1976
I've had good luck using Hylomar with copper head gaskets. Make sure to let it tack up (usually about 10 minutes) before installing the gasket on the engine.
X2 on the sealer.

Doug if the wire is still in the block, then go with the soft copper, you definately can't use MLS gaskets with O'ring wire installed. You will have to use .040 TK min gasket thickness, preferably .060. It's better if you have reciever grooves in the heads but not necessary if you use a min of .040 TK gaskets.

Top fuelers typically adjust their compression ratio by changing gasket thickness, and they reuse the gaskets all the time, alcohol also. I have the same set of copper gaskets on 3 engine refreshes.
MLS gaskets are good but they get carbon buildup between the layers close to the cylinder bores.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
bowler
SENIOR BUILDER

Default copper head gaskets

Zip i pulled the copper head gaskets from the block they are .042, the guy that build the motor looks like he used a little silicone around the water jackets bent them a little getting them off but not bad, there are no grooves in the heads. that will save some $$ over MLS gaskets. Thanks guys Doug
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

I've used these gaskets with no problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sc...4/media/images

TS1955
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I use Clark copper gaskets. O rings on the block and no grooves in the head. If they can hold up to the abuse I've put them through this year they can take about anything!
We were spraying over 1,000hp of nitrous ( with 14.6-1 comp.) on a few passes. Hurt some pistons, but never a head gasket. Yes I know, too much compression. I learned the hard way.