New to Drag Racing...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Buy a 5.0 Mustang for 5k, a trailer for 1k, and use the rest to learn how to set up , tune, and run consistently. You'll burn through money faster than you ever dreamed possible just getting your feet wet the first season. If after that first season you have got the yearn to burn, then you'll know what it costs to continue the next year. (Which starts immediately after the last run of the FIRST season!!)
You blow your whole wad on JUST a car then you'll be sitting out the whole of the racin' year.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

So double D your saying he shouldn't buy a turn key race car ready to go :?: :?: Just buy a car and trailer and go racing?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

I dont know about that 1K trailer....hope ya dont have to go to far! :lol: :P
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

good advice on starting with a bit slower car, and 11. sec can be fast if you don,t have a head for speed, in other words you want your mind to be a little ahead of the car, never behind. jmo
Old 10-06-2010, 06:30 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1968
So double D your saying he shouldn't buy a turn key race car ready to go :?: :?: Just buy a car and trailer and go racing?
IMHO
I feel starting at the bottom and learning your way up is a whole lot more educational and what you've learned will make you faster and be more consistent in the long run. If I was just given/bought a turn key when I started, I'd not even be close to knowing what I know now. Nuthin' like bloody knuckles and loosing to make the WINS worth even MORE. AND it was all EARNED by YOU on the whole trip !
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Wise words D/D...

When it comes to the money part: It does make some sense to spend less & not blow it all at once. 5.0 is a good one, saw a 68 Chevelle/468/PG car I think for about 5 or 6K on here the other day... there are some deals out there right now on 11sec no title/drag cars. W/ 20K, i would think you could do the car/trailer & have a buffer for incidentals (and there will be incidentals)...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I would get you a used open car trailer, and find a car you like, whatever that is and start bracket racing, as you go add to the car or truck and go faster and faster as you go, I wish I would of spent some time bracket racing in sportsman et, that looks like a fun class, and then move up to pro or super pro as you get used to your ride.

I myself started out in the mid 15's and now have gone mid 10's and getting there as been quite fun, I value my first 12 second slip as much as I do my 10 second slip

most of all get a car or truck or whatever you want that you enjoy, something you want and get out there and have fun, you dont have to go 9 seconds to be cool or have fun, its all fun as long as you are racing