crankcase ventilation

Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Default crankcase ventilation

The car I just purchased has a healthy 454 and I think the previous owner was going to make it more drag than street. My intention is all street. He installed valve cover breathers with hoses running down the inner fenders like he was going to hook them to the headers for evacuation but never did. Am I better off just putting some regular breathers on the car or put a oil fill cap on one side and install a PCV valve on the other side? Should it be hooked to the carb if I do or directly to the intake?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-26-2011, 06:25 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Since the car has mufflers, he couldn't hook them to the headers, I would opt for the vented filler and a PVC oposite side, carb or maniflod doesn't matter, which ever looks cleaner.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

If you go with the PCV valve and you're going to hook it to the intake make sure it's at the base of the carb and not on a runner.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks guys!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Since the car has mufflers, he couldn't hook them to the headers, I would opt for the vented filler and a PVC oposite side, carb or maniflod doesn't matter, which ever looks cleaner.

JMO

Zip.
Zip,
Would I want a "vented" filler? I think that would cause a huge loss of vacuum. This motor runs a 585/585 lift solid roller cam and probably doesnt have much for vacuum anyways.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Chris, do you need much vaucum? I see it has manual brakes. Is there still a vaucum modulator on the trans?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Chris, look at it this way, Brian was running 2 open vents into hoses. All you need to do is keep the pressure from building up in the carankcase and valve covers to keep it from blowing oil out of the valve covers at high RPM's. This will not effect your vacuum since that all comes from the intake part of the engine. The PVC valve may hardly ever open except at high RPM since they are designed to only open when there is a build up of pressure in the crankcase, which is created by blow by in the rings.

Zip.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
Hey Chris, do you need much vaucum? I see it has manual brakes. Is there still a vaucum modulator on the trans?
Beast there is a vacuum modulator on the trans

Zip that answers my question then, I am gonna change it over to the PCV setup this week.

Thanks for all the input guys, I cant wait to get all the changes done to the car and take her cruising in the spring! I might even have to take her to the track, its been about 4 years since I have been racing.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Bone, any road racing tracks nearby that host 'Track Day' events ?
How 'bout auto crossing ?
Those 2nd gen 'maros do pretty well in those type events. Also a lot easier on drive train components and is a TON of FUN !
Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

DD,
There is a track I believe up by the Joliet dragstrip. The car has a the big front swaybar and the stock one on the rear. I installed the full Hotchkiss setup on my last car and it made a world of difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -