Michael Steele @ Heads Up Chassis is a liar and a thief!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM
langjones
SHOW GUEST

Default Michael Steele @ Heads Up Chassis is a liar and a thief!

I'm fairly new to drag racing and decided to build a simple bracket car.
I shopped around alot and decided to respond to Ad #2112931. Michael Steele (the lying thief) and i agreed:

96 Firebird body(advertised for $650 in another ad)
Mild steel chassis
Datsun Struts with Brakes
Rack and Pinion
4-Link
Track Locator
Narrowed 9" housing
Single Adj. Shocks
Strange 35 spl. Axles/Bearings/Studs
Plastic seat (Mounted)
Harness Tabs
Single Battery Hold Down
Rear Mount Fuel Cell
Brakes
steering column
pedals
motor/mid plates
master cylinder

Build Price is $5,500.00

I sent $1,000 by money order for the body and to gut it and he (the lying thief) agreed to send me the title which i never received. I decided to make a trip to Florida from NC (home) to make sure everything was on the level. The body was there and he had started gutting it so i thought things were ok. This was Feb 2011 and he said the car would be ready in 4-8 weeks.

Soon afterwards he (the lying thief) had no money for parts or tubing and i agreed to buy the parts and ship them there.(so i would have proof of ownership)

The parts purchased were:
$ 519.70 Bell Steel, Florida For chassis tubing
$ 500.00 A.R.T. rack kit, mid plate, chassis tabs
$1,096.34 4link, anti roll, track locator, front and mid plates
77.98 Driveshaft loops

1 1 873-H1135 HOUSING ENDS EARLY B/FORD 69.99 69.99
1 1 555-60116 REAR AXLE VENT, 1/8"NPT 4.99 4.99
1 1 555-60136 FILL CAP W/STEEL WELD FIT 22.99 22.99
1 1 555-60190 9" FORD HOUSING BRACE KIT 69.99 69.99
1 1 247-2047 COIL-OVER MOUNT LOWER 57.99 57.99
1 1 272-95070 DRAIN PLUG - WELD IN BUNG 14.99 14.99
1 1 247-2046 UPPER COIL OVER MNT KIT 37.99 37.99
Sub-Total 278.93
Shipping 36.98
Handling 13.99
TOTAL 334.90

Counting the $1,000 allready sent, the total now is $3,528.92 from a $5,500 total build price that he was allready suppose to have the parts for. I told him i was on a budget and couldn't go much more than than the $5,500 and asked what i would owe when i arrived. He said the $2,000 balance was fine. Did i mention he was a lying thief?

I called May 9 to set up a date to pick up the car because i also had to pick up my car trailer on the way. He assured me the car would be finished by May 20 at the latest and i let him know i would be leaving on the morning of the 23rd. (Note this all could've been avoided with one phone call.)
I left the morning of May 23 to pick up the car and arrived only to find it not finished. Not even close. I had to run to Texas for a couple days and he assured me once again it would be ready when i got back. Upon returning from Texas on May 23, you know it, not finished.
I ended up staying until May 30 (on my own dime) and loading the car up unfinished and bringing it home along with the parts i had purchased. I also paid him the $2,000 and will chalk it up to ignorance on my part.

WHAT I BROUGHT HOME:

The car body, a partially finished tube chassis, only tacked in places
and not attached to the body. A nine inch housing with a brace welded on it along with the 4 link brackets, not cut to length. A ragged set of front struts and rear coil overs. (unattached)

WHAT I DID NOT BRING HOME:

Strange 35 spl. Axles/Bearings/Studs
Plastic seat (Mounted)
Harness Tabs
Single Battery Hold Down
Rear Mount Fuel Cell
Brakes
steering column
pedals
master cylinder

To the liar's credit, he did offer to come to my ragged little
shop in NC and finish the job which he couldn't seem to finish
in his own shop, and to finish the housing and ship it to me.
I declined. This guy is a POS.

I know it's not much money just a matter of principal.
Michael Steele @ Heads Up Chassis is a liar and a thief.
You guys take your business to someone worthy.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOU PAID HIM THE OTHER $2000 .00!!!!!!! YOU CAME HOME WITHOUT THOSE PARTS !!!!!----SORRY I HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING ANY LOGIC IN THAT

THAT IS WHAT LAW OFFICIALS ARE FOR !!!!!!!!! 8)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM
langjones
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by lively
YOU PAID HIM THE OTHER $2000 .00!!!!!!! YOU CAME HOME WITHOUT THOSE PARTS !!!!!----SORRY I HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING ANY LOGIC IN THAT

THAT IS WHAT LAW OFFICIALS ARE FOR !!!!!!!!! 8)
I think you are completely correct sir. That is why i stated " I also paid him the $2,000 and will chalk it up to ignorance on my part.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 PM
gmanxss
SENIOR BUILDER

YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM 2000 KICKS IN THE AZZ, HE DESERVED IT.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

just to be fair to you in this deal--I AM THE FIRST ONE ON HERE TO PRESS HONOR PAYMENTS AND HONESTY IN ALL DEALINGS[I HATE SCAMMERS]
THIS MAN HAS SHOWN THE OTHER SIDE AND FOR WHAT POSSIBLE REASON I DO NOT KNOW!! PROBABLY OVER EXTENDED SOMEWAY---

SORRY YOU GOT TOOK AND THANKS FOR SAYING YOUR PROBLEM--I WOULD REALY LIKE TO HEAR THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY IF POSSIBLE---
MICHEAL--LET'S HERE IT :shock: :shock:
Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

There have been post on micheal Steel ripping people off here on RJ for the last 5/6 yrs, i'm really surprised that someone has not beaten him too death, and also surprised that RJ continures to let him run his ads.

JMO

Zip.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
There have been post on micheal Steel ripping people off here on RJ for the last 5/6 yrs, i'm really surprised that someone has not beaten him too death, and also surprised that RJ continures to let him run his ads.

JMO

Zip.

to be fair on all 4 corners Zip do you know of anyone that has reported him( Micheal Steele) on the classifieds ( to PJ) and provided more then just heresay evidence of being scammed or ripped off in some way by this man ??? Just asking....seems the thing do here on the forum here the last year or so is to throw RJ in the middle of a situation and condeming them before knowing all the facts. Nothing personal just speaking from a Neutral and fair postion in relation to RJ and the person supposedly scammed...if anyone has the hard evidence POST IT UP and lets get busy getting the alledge scammer dealt with ! vut these post people make calling people names just ainlt enough to pass and final Judgement on anyone..you gotta prove your case...I can call anyone a scum bag but doesn't neccessarliy make it true now does it ?

If someone has reported this man to RJ with solid proof of getting ripped off also please post it and I will report it to PJ myself...fair enough statement isn't it ?

P.S...Kudos to you for your post Lively I could not agree more only sensable and fair and reasonable statement I read in this thread !

PSS
Now to he orginal poster,,you got A signed agreement or something to back your claims you made on this man ?...notice that little box you checked before posting..if you can't prove it and you posted it..then you could have some issues on your hands....just saying.......been a many dudes on here get blasted all over this forum and come right back and prove there side....you have been warned.......

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
michaelsteele
SHOW GUEST

Default Accusations of Dishonesty

Hello,

My name is Michael Steele - Owner/Operator of HEADS UP CHASSIS.

I posted an ad on RJ for a 95 Camaro tube chassis project for $5,500.00 and Mr. Lang answered the ad saying he was intersted in the build but wanted a Firebird instead. I had a Firebird body and Mr. Lang agreed to purchase the Firebird to replace the 95 Camaro in my ad. I told him the Firebird would be more money so the $5,500.00 build started the revision process immediately.
Mr Lang sent me $1,000.00 for a nice 1996 Firebird body which also went toward stripping the inside of the car and cutting sheetmetal out of the inside to prepare the body for a tube chassis.
No, I did not have the money to buy tubing, so Mr. Lang agreed to buy the tubing. The original price of $5,500.00 for the Camaro Project was for used parts I had collected ovr time, hence the low price of $5,500.00 for a tube chassis car. Well then Mr. Lang decided to buy all new components to put on the Firebird so the original price of $5,500.00 was altered once again. The tubing was finally delivered to my shop a few weeks before he was to pick up the car.
Mr. Lang traveled from North Carolina to my shop and on the way down, he picked up his new open trailer that he had built. He said an engineer friend built it for him and he told me he didn't know how much the trailer was going to cost him. Was not your ordinary trailer, but a very nice open trailer. Well, the first thing I find out when I find a product I am interested in purchasing, is the price.
When Mr. Lang came in my shop, I showed him the struts he was getting, and he did not say if he was or wasn't satisfied with them. They were 1st gen Datsun 260-Z struts with aftermarket light weight rotors/hubs and Wilwood calipers.
Mr. Lang was traveling to the Dallas Texas area that week and he was going to swing back by and pick up his car. I "Did" tell Mr. Lang his car would be finished. I worked every day on his car but did not finish on time. The chassis was about 85% welded out when he left with it and the only place that was not welded was where the roof section up top, the outside of the rocker bars where the a-pillar bar and strut knee brace joins. The struts were mounted up top on the strut bars, and brackets were completely welded out. Mr. Lang bought the $500.00 4-link kit from Auto Fab so I had to cut and weld the 4-link tubes. The back brace Mr. Lang sent for the rear end housing was too short and not deep enough to sufficiently cover the 4-link brackets on the housing, so I had to build a back brace that would work affectively.
Note* - Before Mr. Lang came down to my shop, I told him the struts were going to cost more than the ones advertised in the original price. And once again, when he was in Texas, we spoke on the phone and I reassured him the struts were more $$$. I told him he could pay me the extra $$$ for the struts over a two month period and he agreed to do that. He told me he had brought $2,000.00 with him. I asked him if he wanted to leave off the struts, and Mr. Lang told me to go ahead and put them on.
O.K. I did tell Mr. Lang his car would be finished, I worked on his car but was not able to finish on time. I offered to go to North Carolina and finish the car at his shop and would not charge the extra money for the struts, back brace, traveling to his shop. He declined the offer which was his decision. I have been building chassis full time for 10 years and have not once stolen or charged any one more than the price I quoted them. I sincerely regret not being able to finish Mr. Lang's car on time. I do not usually loose much sleep, but I have been very restless since I read the compaint from Mr. Lang. I care about my business and my customers.
Mr. Lang, I regret not finishing your car on time and I will make it right with you within reason.

I am slammed with work, having four front half jobs, four tube chassis jobs, and an interior, and other misc. jobs to do. So I have not built a business on lies and stealing from customers. I am not perfect, and I cannot please everyone. I am only one man and periodically I bring some one in to help me.

I am not only a man, a father, a grand father, but I am a child of the Living God, where by Jesus Christ saved my soul from my sins December 18, 1978 so I have life eternal, Praise the Living God.

Please, racers, business owners, spectators, have you considered your souls destiny after death? I ask you to consider accepting Christ as your savior from your sins, and to be Lord of your life and where you will be able to stand in confidence at your last breath. Do not look to man, to me, for Christ Jesus will judge every man according to his relationship with God, to be in Christ coverd by His precious Blood, or to be outside of Christ, to hear those awful words , EPART FROM ME, YE WORKERS OF INIQUITY, I NEVER KNEW YOU !!! And to be cast into the lake of fire where the burning of the soul and body is tormented forever but is never quenched.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Accusations of Dishonesty

Originally Posted by michaelsteele
Hello,

My name is Michael Steele - Owner/Operator of HEADS UP CHASSIS.

I posted an ad on RJ for a 95 Camaro tube chassis project for $5,500.00 and Mr. Lang answered the ad saying he was intersted in the build but wanted a Firebird instead. I had a Firebird body and Mr. Lang agreed to purchase the Firebird to replace the 95 Camaro in my ad. I told him the Firebird would be more money so the $5,500.00 build started the revision process immediately.
Mr Lang sent me $1,000.00 for a nice 1996 Firebird body which also went toward stripping the inside of the car and cutting sheetmetal out of the inside to prepare the body for a tube chassis.
No, I did not have the money to buy tubing, so Mr. Lang agreed to buy the tubing. The original price of $5,500.00 for the Camaro Project was for used parts I had collected ovr time, hence the low price of $5,500.00 for a tube chassis car. Well then Mr. Lang decided to buy all new components to put on the Firebird so the original price of $5,500.00 was altered once again. The tubing was finally delivered to my shop a few weeks before he was to pick up the car.
Mr. Lang traveled from North Carolina to my shop and on the way down, he picked up his new open trailer that he had built. He said an engineer friend built it for him and he told me he didn't know how much the trailer was going to cost him. Was not your ordinary trailer, but a very nice open trailer. Well, the first thing I find out when I find a product I am interested in purchasing, is the price.
When Mr. Lang came in my shop, I showed him the struts he was getting, and he did not say if he was or wasn't satisfied with them. They were 1st gen Datsun 260-Z struts with aftermarket light weight rotors/hubs and Wilwood calipers.
Mr. Lang was traveling to the Dallas Texas area that week and he was going to swing back by and pick up his car. I "Did" tell Mr. Lang his car would be finished. I worked every day on his car but did not finish on time. The chassis was about 85% welded out when he left with it and the only place that was not welded was where the roof section up top, the outside of the rocker bars where the a-pillar bar and strut knee brace joins. The struts were mounted up top on the strut bars, and brackets were completely welded out. Mr. Lang bought the $500.00 4-link kit from Auto Fab so I had to cut and weld the 4-link tubes. The back brace Mr. Lang sent for the rear end housing was too short and not deep enough to sufficiently cover the 4-link brackets on the housing, so I had to build a back brace that would work affectively.
Note* - Before Mr. Lang came down to my shop, I told him the struts were going to cost more than the ones advertised in the original price. And once again, when he was in Texas, we spoke on the phone and I reassured him the struts were more $$$. I told him he could pay me the extra $$$ for the struts over a two month period and he agreed to do that. He told me he had brought $2,000.00 with him. I asked him if he wanted to leave off the struts, and Mr. Lang told me to go ahead and put them on.
O.K. I did tell Mr. Lang his car would be finished, I worked on his car but was not able to finish on time. I offered to go to North Carolina and finish the car at his shop and would not charge the extra money for the struts, back brace, traveling to his shop. He declined the offer which was his decision. I have been building chassis full time for 10 years and have not once stolen or charged any one more than the price I quoted them. I sincerely regret not being able to finish Mr. Lang's car on time. I do not usually loose much sleep, but I have been very restless since I read the compaint from Mr. Lang. I care about my business and my customers.
Mr. Lang, I regret not finishing your car on time and I will make it right with you within reason.

I am slammed with work, having four front half jobs, four tube chassis jobs, and an interior, and other misc. jobs to do. So I have not built a business on lies and stealing from customers. I am not perfect, and I cannot please everyone. I am only one man and periodically I bring some one in to help me.

I am not only a man, a father, a grand father, but I am a child of the Living God, where by Jesus Christ saved my soul from my sins December 18, 1978 so I have life eternal, Praise the Living God.

Please, racers, business owners, spectators, have you considered your souls destiny after death? I ask you to consider accepting Christ as your savior from your sins, and to be Lord of your life and where you will be able to stand in confidence at your last breath. Do not look to man, to me, for Christ Jesus will judge every man according to his relationship with God, to be in Christ coverd by His precious Blood, or to be outside of Christ, to hear those awful words , EPART FROM ME, YE WORKERS OF INIQUITY, I NEVER KNEW YOU !!! And to be cast into the lake of fire where the burning of the soul and body is tormented forever but is never quenched.

Wow ! what da ya know a 2nd side of the story !

thanks for coming On and telling your side Mr Steele....normally both sides are requested don't know why it wasn't on this one.

Mr Steele can you please tell me have you ever been reported to the offcials of RJ classifieds for any kind of scam or theft ? If you could clear that up Sir I would appreciate it.

When you answer this Question Mr Steele I will then ask the orginal Poster a legit Demand !

I still ain't taking sides only trying to moderate from the middle !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
langjones
SHOW GUEST

Default Bjuice

To bjuice,

I sent the original $1000 cashier's check #031194 along with a notorized letter stating the total price and what the money was for (ad #).

I also had Michael sign a cash receipt for the $2000 i paid him later.

As for a signed agreement by both of us, no. Every dollar and it's intentions were well documented however. Michael would not deny this. I don't know how to post a scanned image but i can if i need to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -