Brad Penn racing oil has anyone ran it??

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hink
We use to run it till they lowered the zinc in their oil now we switched to the http://www.cen-pe-co.com/ as it has 2300 PPM of zinc and is high in phosephate as well. And it seems to be a very common oil with race shops today
I visited with the vice president of Brad Penn today. He said they have not lowered the zinc or changed the formula. He said they used to be Kendal oil but the company sold the Kendal name. They got their new name from Bradford, PA.
In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. (ARG), a privately held energy company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, purchased the Kendall/Amalie refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale by Witco, of the Kendall® and Amalie® brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site: Brad Penn® Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants.
He also said that Cen-Pe-Co doesn't have a refinery their a blender of oils. He also said I can get the oil for around $5.00 a quart with shipping.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by dparker
Some of the guys have went to walmart oil, saying that they're going to change after every race so it doesnt' get a chance to break down. I have a hard time making myself put walmart oil in a $10,000.00 engine. I have always ran Valvoline racing oil, I don't know why I guess it seemed to work for me. But since I've went to alcohol it seems to milk real fast. My vacuum pump is working well so I was looking for an oil that wouldn't mix with alcohol so easily, maybe giving my vacuum a chance to pull alittle more alcohol out.
But the question is who makes the oil for Wal Mart? Valvoline is made by Ashland oil and I've been told that CARQUEST oil is just Valvoline in a CARQUEST bottle.
Warren Oil and they're a bottom feeder. Buying low grade oils to keep price down.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

any idea who makes napa oil?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
lowbudget377
SHOW GUEST

Default OIL

i use castrol 20/50 in my alky motor - red line and a few others make the zinc / phosperas additives :lol: = VIC
Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
any idea who makes napa oil?
valvoline
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I use Redline 20/50. It really doesn't matter what oil I used when I was expierencing ring-wash from a fat mixture!! That get expensive....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

We use to run it till they lowered the zinc in their oil now we switched to the http://www.cen-pe-co.com/ as it has 2300 PPM of zinc and is high in phosephate as well. And it seems to be a very common oil with race shops today
I visited with the vice president of Brad Penn today. He said they have not lowered the zinc or changed the formula. He said they used to be Kendal oil but the company sold the Kendal name. They got their new name from Bradford, PA.
In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. (ARG), a privately held energy company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, purchased the Kendall/Amalie refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale by Witco, of the Kendall® and Amalie® brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site: Brad Penn® Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants.
He also said that Cen-Pe-Co doesn't have a refinery their a blender of oils. He also said I can get the oil for around $5.00 a quart with shipping.
Did the VP say how much zinc and phosphate is in the oil?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by tcarda
Beleive me it has been lowered or I would still be using it as I learned that at the PRI show 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by tcarda

He said minimum of 1500 PPM. I've always used Valvoline, but have recently found out that they have sold their refinery and are now using blenders. I don't know, but using blenders seems kinda like giving a recipe to different people, each can have the same recipe and still come up with a different product. To me if Brad Penn doesn't mix easily with alcohol, that has to be a definite advantage.
The Brad Penn, High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1 oils of 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1, High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1 High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time.

Darrell Reid, a friend that runs a promod car told me that they use to milk their oil after just one pass. After they went to Brad Penn it wasn't milky after a whole race. He also said that in trying to wash off parts with carb cleaner that the oil didn't want to come off even with carb cleaner. Well, I've got 2 cases ordered, it was $48.00 a case and 20.00 shipping and handling. For a total price of $4.83 a quart.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
HamerDown
APPRENTICE

Months ago I visited the Brad Penn site, and quoted...
1500 zinc
1400 phosphorous

I purchased a case of 25/50 and 50 wt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -