bbc main stud girdle for a 2 bolt main?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by cepx111
LOL....sure guirldes dont add strength and stability, take one off a high horse power small block ford and see how fast it splits the block in half.
I bet all them guirdles everyone runs on their rocker arms arent doing $hit either.
Don't argue with call kenny as he has been doing this stuff longer then you and I

And putting a girdle on makes the main caps stronger as its still a stock grey cast main cap WOW I get it add a girdle and presto the caps are stronger and the webbing stronger HMMMMMMMM I have a hard time believing that.

Is that like putting new rod bolts in an old set of rods the rods are now stronger not hardly its just better hardware in an old set of rods!!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by bones427
my engine guy has a 477bbc 2bolt in his dragster and said all i need is the studs he hasn,t had any problems.and since i have a lite weight rotating assy. i should be ok but i still would like to know. i cant change to 4 bolt mains i all ready payed for a align hone and the said it was 450.00 to make it a 4 bolt with just the 3 center caps.and if program says it doen.t stenghen it webs nether does makin it a 4 bolt. also if i go with the girdle will it clear alumn. rods?
Try going to a splayed cap as that ties the pan rail in with the webbing of the mains making for a much stonger bottom end.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Arent the caps milled flat between the fastner holes to allow the girdle to fit making the cap even thinner in the center ?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
bones427
APPRENTICE

ok so does anybody know if this will clear alumnium rods or h beams i have bme rods going in this!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

LOL....sure guirldes dont add strength and stability, take one off a high horse power small block ford and see how fast it splits the block in half.
I bet all them guirdles everyone runs on their rocker arms arent doing $hit either.
You're comparing apples to bananas. The SBF is weak to begin with. The BBC is not.

So sure, reinforcing a poorly designed item is necessary, hence why we run girdles on the valve train. Properly designed valve train, such as shaft rockers don't require additional assistance.

So, in the end, it all comes down to the part you're talking about.

I've seen quite a few high end motors, Chevy's, Olds, Pontiac, Hemis, BBF, etc, and the only thing I've ever seen that needed a lower end girdle was a SBF. Kind of indicates that in a high horsepower setting, that block is the only one that needs additional strength.

Will adding a girdle to your BBC hurt? Probably not, so long as it's in place when you line hone it. If it's installed after the fact, and tweaks the studs, then you may be doing just as much harm as help.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I wasn't implying that a BBC was weak I just think by putting on a guirdle I'm making already strong block stronger. I also know that "KENNY" at CNCwhatever is in the business of selling and installing billet main caps so sure he doesn't recomend using them he wants to sell you parts and machine shop services.

I'm wasn't trying to sell anyone on the idea of using a main stud guirdle, I was merely replying to a post.

I bought mine because they "DO" strengthen and "WILL" make anything stronger and more rigid which is why the inheritly weak sbf fords guys use them in the first place.
I don't have money falling out of my butt like some folks do on here
to spend on fancy 4 bolt splayed main cap conversions I did the best with what I had. I bought mine roughly for what it cost to buy a set of arp studs so yeah I bought the guirdle which came w/ studs and no I didn't have to mill the main caps down to make it fit and yes they clear my H beams rods.
Have a nice weekend, Charles
Old 04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Dont even trip Charles.Just keep the build going.Stay FOCUSED on your project...
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

I wasn't implying that a BBC was weak I just think by putting on a guirdle I'm making already strong block stronger. I also know that "KENNY" at CNCwhatever is in the business of selling and installing billet main caps so sure he doesn't recomend using them he wants to sell you parts and machine shop services.
Have a nice weekend, Charles
There is no Kenny at CNC Kenny ownes http://pro-gram.com/ and he does sell main girdles not for your appication. And I am sure if they were the way to go he would be selling them as it would be nothing for him to make the girdles.

Putting a girdle on top of main caps does not make them stronger as they still will flex between the studs as we have seen a 2 bolt main block with a 3.750 crank and a girdle on it and the caps still walked in the registers.

At least with billet caps it make the lower end stronger and act as more of a girdle then bolting a peice of aluminum to the top of the caps.

If girdles was the answer it would sure save ma a lot of time in the machine shop!!!