BBC Blown Alcohol Heads

Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

On a blown alchy deal, I would use a Dart 360 race series head. With some minor porting, they will out pace the CNC 355, and cost less. The reason being, is, that the Race series heads, are a bunch beefier, and thicker, in the right places, and, they work.

I wouldn;t loose sleep about worrying about flow numbers either. I recently did a pair of 557 tall deck, marine 8-71 carbed blower engines, super chiller under blower intercoolers, twin King demon RS carbs, dry sumps etc, on pump gas, that made 1040 at only 5 lbs of boost, and 1300 at 15 lbs. This was with Dart Race series 308's, that I ported. We did use 100 octane low lead aviation fuel for the higher boost levels, but, there was still power left in it, could have easily upped the boost more, and, the heads were small, like 320cc, and barely flowed 380. These 2 engines, went in a 42 foot, MTI Cat, that goes over 140mph. This isn;t a race boat either, but a fully optioned "pleasure" boat.

Frank
Advanced performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 09-19-2007, 06:24 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

Frank, now thats what I call a PLEASURE BOAT 140 mph.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM
adjones419
APPRENTICE

Randy Scism sure makes some nice MTI cats in Wentzville, doesn't he? His father-in-law, Clark Gruninger, is a friend and helps sponsor me. Clark has a 36' Daytona Coupe with twin blown 540 Donovans.

Anyway, this blown alcohol piece will be going in an 8 second runnerbottom v-drive dragboat. I'm looking for out of the box performance, don't really want to have to port them. I figure the blower will make up for whatever the heads are lacking. But strength would definitely be an issue.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

I do a lot of marine stuff, and so far, thats the nicest boat I have seen. Its truly awe inspiring, but, for $650,000, it better be, lol. A lot of guys ask me, how do you get into the boat engines, beiing in Minnesota, there isn't any oceans even close by. Well, we have a very extensive river system, the St.Croix, and obviuosly the Mississippi, and, there is some areas, that sure don;t look like a river. And, being an international waterway, thtere is no speed limit, except in a few "no wake" areas. And then, we have the Great lake Supior here as well, which is like the ocean, and, its fresh water, so it doesn;t eat the inside of your engine, lol.

Gimmemud, yah, 140+ on the water, sure would give you pleasure, lol. If you saw this boat, you would say, how does something that big, go that fast. If the thing had a jack plate, it would go 160+, but, be VERY spooky at speed, and one wrong move, and, it would flip over back wards.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 AM
adjones419
APPRENTICE

I've been around high-performance boats all my life. My dad was into dragboats in the 70's and early 80's, but he always ran jetboats. That's where I got my start but finally made the switch to a v-drive. It takes a lot of power to make a jetboat go fast.

The big boats are cool too, but I'm more into the dragboats. I've seen quite a few of the MTI's down at the Shootout at LOTO...we always stay at the same condo with Randy and all the MTI guys. The Bat Boat MTI is absolutely amazing, and so is Speed Racer! Those guys at SuperCat Rigging sure come up with some great ideas. I'm a big fan of the Eliminator Daytonas too. We have a 27' and a 30' we're trying to sell...they're solid 115mph boats.

But anyway, thanks for all of the input on cylinder heads. We're done racing now (except for World Finals in Phoenix in November) until the spring, so the off-season will be devoted to putting the new piece together...making the switch from twin Dominators and Nitrous to blown and injected on alcohol.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM
adjones419
APPRENTICE

I think I'll go with the Race series 360's instead of the Pro 355 CNC's for strength and longevitiy issues.