engine compression with nitrous

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
gearhead37683
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default engine compression with nitrous

has anyone here ran nitrous on a real high compression motor?one of my friends has a 406 with dart pro 1 aluminum heads,eagle rotating assembly with h beam rods, forged je pistons,and he says it is making like 14.5-1 compression, would it be safe to put nitrous on it and if so how much,he was only thinking of maybe putting 150 shot on it.what do all of you engine builders think.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Sure they do that all the time, high compression really isn't a problem as long as the necessary precautions are taken.
First off:
Invest in a good programable timing retard and follow the manufacturers suggestions in the amount of retard you will need for a 150 shot.
Secondly:
Also more detonation resistance fuels are needed, again checking with the manufacture and following their suggestions for your application is highly advised. I would invest in another completely separate fuel system that will sustain the adequate fuel pressure recomended for your level..
Start at the lower levels and work your way up, making the necessary changes as you slowly increase your levels.
Nitrous can be extremely addicting to use so consider yourself warned....lol
On the flip side:
Running nitrous is "NOT" a guessing game there are no "rules of thumb" that apply so doing your homework will make your experience much more enjoyable and safe.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I put 150 to 15.5:1 comp this year with no issues, I see people put 300 to 14:1 all the time.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
etbird
MASTER BUILDER

I've put 225hp on 13.8:1 no problems