does alky evaperate?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM
kmcclain
JOURNEYMAN

Default does alky evaperate?

When alcohol gets in your oil will it evaperate as engine warms up?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

The alcohol evaporates with heat, but leaves the water residue in the oil, EI: Milky Oil
Common with running too rich while running alcohol.

If i go out to my shop, right now with high humidity, my alcohol drum is sweating water all over the floor.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

As long as your not adding more alky to the oil it will evaporate. if your constantly getting alky in the oil you may want to check your jetting and idle mixture. we have some customers who insist on running there engines to rich.they use Royal Purple oil and drain it after every race,they then heat the oil in a pan to 200 deg and put it back in the engine water and alky free.Bill
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by billhendren
As long as your not adding more alky to the oil it will evaporate. if your constantly getting alky in the oil you may want to check your jetting and idle mixture. we have some customers who insist on running there engines to rich.they use Royal Purple oil and drain it after every race,they then heat the oil in a pan to 200 deg and put it back in the engine water and alky free.Bill
What he said. A lot of top alky teams save up oil and boil it by the 55 gallon drum. But, correct a/f ratio will prevent oil from milking.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Alcohol evaporates at 176 deg F... we found being on the starting line at 180 make the pass and drive it back the oil cleaned up

Good luck
Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default get engine warm

not trying to split hairs, but i think methanol evaporates at an even lower temperature. so getting the engine fully warmed up will really help heat the oil and boil the methanol off..
Old 02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
gyrogearloose
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default alcohol

A good vacuum pump or dry sump oiling system goes along way when burning alcohol. It will help keep the oil from getting milky. As stated, you need the good tune and running it back to the pits allows the heat in the engine to help evaporate some of the alcohol and water from the oil.

gyrogearloose