race mufflers??

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
APPRENTICE

OK we all know dodges are junk, for the most part they all are. That's what makes them fun to modify!
Probably jumped a little hard on flowmaster right off the bat but I had 2 sets with baffle problems on a daily driven 71 chevy p.u. At the time I guess I was being dumb and never called them. I have sense called them and they say they have a 3 year warranty so they may have covered them, who knows. Just so you know the magnaflows do have a lifetime warranty and seem to be a better quality product in my opinion, mainly due to the stainless steel constuction. As far as times with and without mufflers, it is just a street truck and ran high 14's through the exhaust. Never ran it without. I did run some one chamber 3" flowmasters on my 68 camaro and it went from 10.80's open to 11.10's through the exhaust. It was just a little 383 pump gas motor so can't really compare that to 1600hp. Just trying to help out the post, not start a sarcastic typing war.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by 71
OK we all know dodges are junk, for the most part they all are. That's what makes them fun to modify!
Probably jumped a little hard on flowmaster right off the bat but I had 2 sets with baffle problems on a daily driven 71 chevy p.u. At the time I guess I was being dumb and never called them. I have sense called them and they say they have a 3 year warranty so they may have covered them, who knows. Just so you know the magnaflows do have a lifetime warranty and seem to be a better quality product in my opinion, mainly due to the stainless steel constuction. As far as times with and without mufflers, it is just a street truck and ran high 14's through the exhaust. Never ran it without. I did run some one chamber 3" flowmasters on my 68 camaro and it went from 10.80's open to 11.10's through the exhaust. It was just a little 383 pump gas motor so can't really compare that to 1600hp. Just trying to help out the post, not start a sarcastic typing war.
No war intended. 383 pump gas motor losing 2 tenths is good anecdotal evidence.

It beats the hell out of "flowmasters are junk and should be sued", as it provides your real life results, not some BS hype from a manufacturer or disgruntled customer.

8)
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by CamBirdRacing
Mufflers on a racecar is like having sex under the sheets.
1 OF THE CLASSES I RUN REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE MUFFLERS.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

funny azz analogy hahahhaa
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

got back from chassis dyno from this guys shop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdF0wgTikM

looks like my homemade jobbers made best of 625 hp@7000 rpms.best open headers run was 650@7000. thats on roughly a 800 hp 572.

on a 260 hit of nitrous it made 854@7000 thru mufflers with air fuel ratio ranging from 10 to 10.5 to 1

i realize i need to relieve pressure and not to dead head regulators even though my pump has a return right off it to fuel cell. when fuel pump is on with 6 pounds flowing fuel, not flowing its like 12 pounds thus telling with the rich condition on spray it wants a return line.......

final answer, 3% power loss with home made mufflers...not bad for 3" id 4" od bullet mufflers with half inch holes swiss cheesed in the 3" pipe.