most memorable mishaps, oops!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Great thread Gentlemen!!

I kinda blew my wad already on a similar thread back awhile ago invloving one gas scotter & one cop & two broken arms, so I don't have too many mishaps that match up to that one.

I do recall a time when I was getting ready to tow my 72' Chevelle once when I was 17. Unfortunately I "assumed" my e-brake worked in that car.... on a slanted driveway.... while pulling the driveshaft... BAMM!! I remember watching the oil-pan bolt rushing closer to my head as I wiggled away from a 3000+ car getting ready to crush my body of about 160lbs... man that sucked. The front pass tire rolled into my side & busted my clavical bone in my shoulder & I remember mucas spitting out of my mouth taking the breath away from me. As my 110lb girl friend was pushing on the back, I somehow was able to wiggle out & the car went into the street to a stop.

Another trip to the Hospital... first time I had Morphine too. I was told later that I was flirting with a big fat nurse lady who was helping me... they said I told her I was into "big luvin" & that I wanted her number.
WTH??? I am NOT into fat chicks.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

But you were trying to be... :P
Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Well this was stupid as hell and you'll probably wonder how i live to be so old, but here goes.

I was living in Phx. at the time, and had a excellent running 65 Chevelle track champ 84/85, i also had a 2 car garage attached. I had taken my 10' camper off my truck and set it down on the one side of the garage door, real close outside. I had my Chevelle parked on the other side of the garage and pushed back with in inches of the door. I was building a 427" b/blk for a friend in front of the Chevelle, and the last thing i was stick welding the pickup tube to the oil pump. About 3 ft. away was a drain pan 1/2 full of gas that i had been washing parts it. You guess it one of the chingle berrys jump into the drain pan, instent flames. I couldn't get the drain pan between the car and the camper, and in seconds the flames were like 5 ft. high. I was afraid to throw a blanket on it for fear it would splash out. I had some 2X4's standing against one wall, so i dragged the flaming pan around the front of the car and out the front door of the garage, by this time the flames were 10 ft. high, and the garage was so heavy in smoke you couldn't see in it. I put a hose on the pan and all it did was splash out for about 2 to 3 min. by the time i got it out i had burned up 10' of lawn and 2 neighbors were already calling the fire dept. I keep the burned 2 X 4 in the garage as a reminder untill i sold the house.
That's the last time i ever used gas to was parts, indoor or out doors, lesson well learned. ops:

Zip.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 PM
eddie1963
SENIOR BUILDER

Default I WAS EXHAUSTED

worked in the automotive repair field [exhaust too] for several years and as usual was very busy [KEEP IN MIND I am the manager thus I know eveything]. vehicle needed an exhaust fron the converter back, so me, knowing everything and all the part numbers from all the years of using walker exhaust, I pulled the parts and proceeded to cut the old off and install the new! heck my Grandmother could install this exhaust in 30 minutes or less!!!!!!!!after inventing a few new curse words, stating walker exhaust sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lowered the FORD ranger pick up with a new CHEVY s10 exhaust system installed!!!!!!!!!! I AM THAT GOOD !!!!!!!! OR WAS I THAT STUPID?????????? NEVER EVEN REALIZED HOW STUPID WE CAN BE WHEN IN A HURRY? the FORD ran like a CHEVY and all i did was use a universal exhaust hanger, make a pipe sleeve, and tack weld it so it would HOPEFULLY rot off before it fell off! I SMILED AND BRAGGED AS IT DROVE AWAY... SEE MY PROFILE I LIKE MAKING IT WORK. ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE> On the morning of the 25thof DEC. close you eyes 'so we dont see the gifts' and lets count our blessings and remember our loved ones not with us and pray for their safe keeping! STILL KEEPING THE FAITH NOW BACK TO FUNNY> hope i get that new carb from Santa! HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOURS...
Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

When I was about 15 years old my dad and I came home to find my moron brother in law under the hood of a neighbors car...trust me he was the last guy you wanted "helping" you.We walked over and found him testing for fire with a screwdriver stuck into a spark plug wire...only instead of trying to jump the spark to the engine or what have you, he was just holding onto the metal part of the screwdriver...He told my dad "this thing aint fireing a lick..." Dad pulled the coil wire off, scraped the post(which by the way was coroded) with a pocket knife and reinstalled the wire...my brother in law,still holding the screwdriver, yelled "TRY IT NOW" VROOOOOOOMMMM!! as soon as the guy cranked it.

:lol: the scream was great.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I got loads of these, I'll share another with ya'll.

One day at the ford dealership a truck came in that wouldnt start, after performing several different "tests" I figured the module in the dist was bad. Someone left the ignition ON not me...lol
Soon as I lifted the dist out of the block BOOM! The crankcase was full of raw gas and fumes from trying to crank it and when the dist was lifted with the ignition ON it broke the ground to it and the spark it created ignited all those fumes, my left ear still rings to this day. The explosion balloned the valve covers and the oil pan pretty bad, it was an expensive lesson, but looking back it was still funny I must have looked like one of those cartoon characters whoes bomb went off in their face....lol
Cp
Old 12-13-2008, 03:05 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Back to the teen years. I was working on my first car. A 4 door 65 Impala.
(What a chick magnet in the mid 80's) The starter went out and I decided to change it myself. (This was my first time). I had the car jacked up as high as the bumper jack would go. Well, it was difficult to start the bolts for some reason and I had been underneath struggling for so long my arms were tired. I finally got on bolt started, (I thought) and laid my arms by side for a break. That's when the starter fell and chipped my front tooth...
Old 12-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I posted this before in a different thread...but it still remains my most memorble mistake that made myself out to look like a fool...

This isn't race car related but probably the most humiliating moment of my life happened when I was a freshman in High school. Our wrestling coach aranged for us to have access to the school swimming pool(indoor pool) for a night at the end of the season...well they had the swim coach there along with a classmate of ours ( female, cheerleader,swimmer, hot,good looking..you get the idea) anyway she was there as a life guard..well we were trying to get her wet when we jumped off the diving board..nobody could do it. She was standing close to the edge of the pool but it was too far for the splash to get her...so I jumped off and then swam over to the edge right next to her and climbed out of the pool and started to head back to the diving board line...I walked two steps past her then turned real quick and did a "canonball" right in front of her so I could splash her...well my aim wasn't so good and I misjudged the distance and the back of my head smashed into the edge of the pool ...knocking me completely unconcious, leaving me floating in the pool with the back of my head cut open. ....she had to jump in the water and rescue me.

So I DID get her wet, but I didn't get to look at her cause they took me to the Emergency room to get stitches.

This pool was on the second floor of our High School and sounds echoed pretty bad...well I was told that it made quite a loud boom and echo when I did it. All I remember is jumping and then coming too with her in the water and the coaches pulling me up out of the pool....Oh yeah and all my friends laughing their asses off at me. I heard about that one forever.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:47 AM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

Default moments to remember

one nite at Memphis I drove ZIP's malibu and it launched high and hard and down track it went to viberating so I shut down and got off track, no oil down but broke trans, drive shaft and rear end. Zip ain't let me back in his car but then it had a 406 and it would really be fun with the big motor. Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 12-16-2008, 11:25 AM
NorthMotorSports
MASTER BUILDER

I got one lol........

Well about 8 yrs ago when I was 18 I was workin a muffler shop in kck.... I was weldin up this exhaust for a guy and he watched me lay the bead and everything..... Well when I got done weldin up the exhaust the guy graved it make sure it was good and burnt the piss out of his hand and four arm lol........ How stupid can you get???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -