Chevy 366

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Chevy 366

I usually don't have a hard time finding anything, but i need some help on this one.

I want to know the specs / torque and horse power ratings on a 1992 Chevy 366 tall deck engine. These engines came in dump trucks and a bunch of school buses.
I've been looking at a small totorhome and it has a 366 in it. I'd MUCH rather have a diesel, but a good gas motor would work ok.

If it's anything like the Ford V10 I'll pass and keep looking for a diesel.

Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I've worked a lot on those engines. While they are pretty durable and get the job done, they are gutless as hell. Figure hp range in the upper 100's at best, and torque in the 300's, although I can't give you exact numbers. Fuel mileage isn't the best either, as most average 4-8 mpg in something like that. They were offered in numerous medium duty vehicles like the toter home as a factory "standard" motor, and the others like the 427 or diesels were options. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with one of them in it, unless I just wanted something to get from point a to point b, and not in the fastest or most efficient manner. They can be hopped up a bit though, but either way you look at it, it's basically an overweight small block. I'd keep looking if it were me.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 366

Rabbit,
I had a 1992 GMC Toter,with a 366.Did you CATCH that(HAD)it pulled on Flat ground FINE.and would pull my 50' no problem.
BUT,1st of all.
The motor is turning 4k @ 68mph,because it has too to make the Rig go down the Road!
That part SCARED tha Hell out of me,although I know guys that Work for U-Haul and say you can drop a Brick on the Throttle and they will Run until the Tanks are Dry!And,by the way,that dont take long either?About 5-6 MPG.
IF you dont have ANY Hills,or they are short,OK.If your in Hill countrty?NO WAY!
GooD-Luck,..............?
Later
G 8)
Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

IMHO a diesel would be my preference.
#1 They're just flat more powerful and will last forever.
#2 Buy bigger than you need right now as that allows you to haul more if needed without additional expense down the road .
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the info.
My trailer is only a 24' er @ 7,000lbs, BUT I do plan to go to a 28' which will be close to 12,000+ lbs with everything in it.

I think the gas motor would be fine for about 90% of what I do, but I do hit the road on 5 or 6 long trips a year. I've been as far as Kansas, Indiana, Wv. and Fl in the same year. (I live in Ga. on the Sc. line)
I think I'll keep looking for a small totor with a diesel.

After owning a Duramax for 5 years it's kinda hard to back to a gas motor :wink:
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Rabbit, i know you didn't see it, but Jimmy Smith has a 22 ft. Winnebago with a 454 in it he towed his 26 ft trailer with car and about 3,000 lbs of spare parts and tools, it was a great unit but Ms. Francis's wanted more comfort so he bought the 33 ft. motor home, but has hated it ever since, but gotta keep the wife happy. If i would have had the cash i would have bought the Winnebago, it was perfect for 1 or 2 people and pulled like a champion with load leveler's.

Zip.