Question of the day on paint

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I am told that red cost more than any other color, but havn't checked on any prices yet, the $800.00 was the number given to me by the guy who restores/build old cars. I do know that about 6 yrs ago when a wind storm dropped a tree limb on my Elky and i had to repaint the roof only the paint and sealer cost $160.00.

Zip.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

ill call tomorrow and see what 90 vette red paint and all supplies are here
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

rather 86
Old 12-23-2010, 06:24 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Red in any medium costs more as red is the fastest fading color in nature. I don't know the scientific reason for this phenomena. When signage was hand painted, it was a major issue in the less expensive paints, and still is in the less expensive vinyls. Chinese junk that is powder coated red, fades EXTREMELY fast.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Basicly, i did what Harbone66 suggested, using 1000 grit wet or dry paper with lots of water, when i seen red paint on the paper i quit and cleaned it up. I remembered something a friend told me, who owned a Boat shop that sold boats. He said that they took in trade lot's of Bass boats that had been neglected, the ones with metal flake and fancy paint jobs. He say they would wet sand them with 1000 grit and then clearcoat them and they looked like new and add $2000.00 to the resale. I thought Hmmm!!!, fiberglass and rubber equals Corvette.

Below is the results on the lower right bumper, the white is glare. For some reason the tail lite panel paint is good. You can see the other part of the bumper and around the lic. plate box the clearcoat is bad. I used a spray can of clearcoat with a fan nozzle, not the shotgun type nozzle. If i can prove this method, i'll do it right with a spray gun once i get everthing prepared.

I don't know if it would work on metal or not.

Zip.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

well chit Zip, no matter what it looks better than before :!:

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-23-2010, 02:17 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

didnt get a chance to call today but found this
http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/
Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Zip I really hate to say this but that paint is gone. You can still buff and polish it out but it wont have the shine that it should have. I seen paint on cars a lot worse where the clear is actually peeling off.

From my experiences buying paint (PPG) it didnt matter what the color was and the price was the same across the board for a plain and simple base color. When I painted my Celica it only cost me $75 a quart for the color, but then add in the reducer and thinner it brought up the price.

BTW that is a nice Vette.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:10 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

You may want to check at a few different Maaco paint shop. Many are independent and some can do great paint jobs. The problem is usually the quality of the paint. You might find a good painter that will do a great job and you supply the paint you want applied. Look at samples of their work and shop around. The alternative is to wait for the opening in a shop you trust. It does look better than it did though.