sbc Jesel belt drive clearance problem

Old 11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
SC8398
APPRENTICE

Default sbc Jesel belt drive clearance problem

I'm currently building a sbc 434, dart block, callies crank, eagle rods, je pistons, ect. I just installed my new Jesel belt drive and after setting up the endplay on the cam and the thrust washers over and over the back of the cam gear is rubbing on the front of the timing cover. Spent alot of time on this and can't figure it out, just wondering if anyone else has run into this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks
chris
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Make sure that the aluminum Jesel cover is sitting flush against the front of the block and not hitting on the oil galley plugs. I had to chamfer some of the edges on oil galley and inside the cover to get this to happen. The other thing might be that the plugs are not flush, which is holding the cover out.

If the cover is sitting flush, then is sounds like you have too many washers between the cover and the Jesel cam drive. Make sure that you have the brass washers on both sides of the Jesel cam drive. There is one that goes between it and the block and then there is one that goes between it and the cover assembly. If you already have washers on both sides, then you might need to move some from between the cam drive and the cover to between the cam drive and the front of the block.

My guess is that the cover wasn't sitting flush and you had to add a bunch of shims to get the end play down to the 0.012" and now the cam drive is too far away from the cover and is then pulling the belt drive into the cover.

Hope that this helps.

Bill Mitchell
Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 PM
SC8398
APPRENTICE

The cover sits flush and i even double check with feeler gauges to make 100%. Originally i set it up just with the shims that come with the kit ( one on both sizes of the cam adapter) and only needed 2 shims under the retainer plate aprox .058 worth, and the endplay turned out perfect. I did however put some extra shims later in between the cam adapter and block and got the gear to clear and everything set up fine but i worried about the cam being so far forward that the lobes aren't centered under the lifter bores, not WAY off but enough i can tell they arent centered and with the roller cam that kinda worries me. Trying to get ahold of jesel to see what they have to say, the entire motor is brand new so there has to be a way to make it work, just a little dumb on this i guess. Thanks for the advice though!