What Ford Trans. to use for street/strip??

Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Default What Ford Trans. to use for street/strip??

My Brother-in Law wants to step up the performance on his 1969 Mustang. Right now he has a 302 with a 3 speed auto. and he's starting to drag race it a bit and wants more performance out of it but still keep it street able and make some long cruises(like 500mile drives) with it. But he said "MUST BE A SBF". So I suggested a 351 based engine but stroke it out to a 408 to maybe a 427 with alum. heads,10:1 comp,dual plane intake,vaccum carb,hyd. roller cam to make about 450hp and then maybe a 100 shot of NOS for some more fun if he wanted.

But we're wondering what kind of trans. he should use 3 speed auto or a 4 speed auto and what rear gear ratio he should use.....keeping it streetable?

I'm a Chevy guy and I'm not up on what Ford has for newer or older transmissions to use for performance applications. Which Ford 4 speed auto. is good to build for performance?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Well if he wants to keep it sbf than he could possibly just build up that c4 trans. If he wants to go the 351 route then build up a c-6.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:11 AM
sprayed347
SHOW GUEST

Default trans

give broader perfomance trans a call he can set you up with a good aod 4 speed that will be reliable and strong.He is really one of the best ford only trans guys around.