Free HP/Cheap tricks (Anybody have any?)

Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The guys that are killing you probably don't make much more power. In circle track, the chassis is the advantage...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

Many years ago when we ran circles, we found tire size and gearing made a big difference. We tried several sizes to get the right stagger.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Thanks Guys

Originally Posted by BD74SS
Thanks for all the advice. I posted this a few days ago and I amazed by the response. What I was looking for was little things like caprice327
listed. My mostly stock motor is already built, and I was just looking for some cheap tricks to find some h/p. The "circle track" class I run in, require the motors to be all stock. But im getting killed on the track.

not to sitr anything but its been proven that indexing spark plugs ( DO NOT) increase HP levels..
its done to create clearance in tight areas with the piston and spark plug ground strap may make contact...
if you need to index plugs for this reason then place back of strap of plug in the 12 o-clock position.

just wanted you to have the correct info here.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Cogburn
APPRENTICE

Loosen the chassis up so it doesn't push at all and is just to the loose side beginning with corner entry. If you push at all especially going into the corner you will use up a lot of power. Alignment will eat power also-front and rear.

Keep in mind that "stock" classes still have a lot of room for a good builder to make power. I have built engines for the pure stock class that were around 3500$-that one won 22 of its first 24 races and has been torn down repeatedly. A decent set of stock legal heads could easily break 1k$. A good carb can be worth 20hp+ over one that seems to work good. The right cam makes a world of difference.

Common errors are too much piston to head clearance. Bad hone jobs and cheap rings. Poor valve jobs. Wrong cam. Carb with bad mixture curve.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
jimboscarbs
SHOW GUEST

Default circle track

I know this may sound biased but don't take my word for it, ask any major engine builder. They know there's a ton of horsepower to be had in a good carburetor.
This is especially true in stock class racing where most guys build there own stuff. I am not telling you this to sell you a carb. I have more work than I can do now.
I just want you to be informed. I spend allot of time on the dyno developing carbs for stock class racing and the difference between a purpose built carburetor and an off the shelf or junk yard item is huge.
If you can afford it, by a professionaly built carburetor. By professoinaly built I mean a carburetor that has been developed for circle track racing.
This carburetor will have been dyno tested and checked for A/F ratio as well as horsepower and torque production.
I have seen carburetors have a perfect air/fuel curve but not make any where near the horsepower and torque they should. That is why it is imperative to have a carb dyno tested.

CHASSIS
As for chassis you want your chassis as free as you can get it. Any time you are racing a horsepower limited class you need to free your car up as much as possible and be as fast as you can from corner entry to corner exit this is where races are won.

I would venture to say that most of the cars in your class are very close on the stopwatch down the straightaway, but if you clocked the front runners they are probably 1/2 second or faster through the corners
5 MPH faster through the corners is worth about 15MPH down the straightaway because the momentum is not lost.

There is allot more to this... I urge you, if you plan on staying in racing... I think I can speak for most of us once you're in you never leave. You may take a hiatus from time to time but racing will alway call you back! It is the sickness we live with, I regress.. anyway do yourself a favor and attend a chassis school it will be the best money you have ever spent.

I attended when I first started racing and I promise it was the best racing dollar I have ever spent. You cannot spend this minimal amount on any hard part that will make you as fast as the knowledge gained will.

I will get off my soap box now and give someone else a turn

Jimbo
www.jimboscarbs.com

P.S Bill Gordon has an excellent chassis school that is geared toward new racers and entry level classes that is excellent for a minimal price and he is a great guy you will not be dissapointed.

www.thedirttrackracingschool.com
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 AM
quikcars
SHOW GUEST

Default cheap thrills

Underdriven pullies,cold air induction,battery to the trunk,go light on the fuel load but,for Gods sake,throw away the cooling fan on front of the motor-has been shown to free up 7-15 HP.Run external oil and trans coolers.Just a few that comes to mind.EVERY little bit helps. :?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Depending on you ignition and compression ratio, changing you plug gap can pick up 6 - 8 horsepower