Burn out question

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Burn out question

66 Chevy II 14.5/32's, TH400 with trans brake.

How do you do your burn outs? Is a line lock the common item just for the burn out?

My question is should I install a line lock/roll control to keep it in the box a little longer. How important is wheel speed in the burn out?

Its a newbie question, but a complete review of the burn out would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
vader2
SHOW GUEST

I am no expert, but I have been on the track a few times, this is what I do.

First a line lock will definately help with getting the proper heat in the tires. I have seen guys have the line lock and transbrake hooked in parrell. This helps in the staging lights to ensure the car does not move on the transbrake. Most of the time these guys do not need a line lock for a proper burn out, I am not one of them.

I come to the water box, I rap the engine in gear in the box to get the tires good and wet, then pull forward out of the box about 2-3 feet. Depress the brakes fully, engage the line lock, rap the engine to 5000 in first gear and then run through the gears quickly. After about 3-5 second in high gear I let off the line lock and ride out the burnout. Let off the gas, place tranny in neutral, rap the engine good on the way to the staging lights, place in gear and hold on.

I am sure there are alot of ways to do it, this is just the way I do it.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
ssym
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks Vader

Next question....I have a transbrake switch on my shifter. Where would you recommend the line lock switch go? Steering wheel? two switches on the shifter?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
vader2
SHOW GUEST

I have a toggle switch on my shifter counsle, personal preference though. Down is off and up is on. When I am done with the burnout it is right there to turn off. I did have one on my shifter at one point, didn't like it much. Alot of guys will put it on the steering wheel, I personnally don't like the cord extending down the steering column. My recommendation is put it in a comfortable location for you. Just my .02
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

use the line lock to block the rear brakes from getting fluid from the master cylinder. This way you can have full brakes on the front and be able to feather the pedal out of the burnout and not skid the tires into the gaurdrail
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
use the line lock to block the rear brakes from getting fluid from the master cylinder. This way you can have full brakes on the front and be able to feather the pedal out of the burnout and not skid the tires into the gaurdrail
never heard of that before, line loc is so you have full brake on front and no brakes on back, when you put brake pedal to floor then engage line loc button, you keep button on and let brake pedal come up and front brakes are on and back are off

you roll through water, when back tires are just out of waterbox engage brake, engage line loc, let brake off hit the gas good, get up on tire, get rpms up,shift to second, then to high gear and when they are ready let line loc button off as said above and come out
Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i know, most people are so confused on how things work.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

ssym don't ever feather the gas while doing a burnout. Your causing the stater in the converter to engage and disengage. It won't last long. I've never had to use a line lock.
My opinion would be to roll barely thru the water. Hit you gas hard and fast to about 3/4 throttle. Shift to high gear as quick as possible. As you feel the rear tires starting to bite go ahead and roll the gas to full throttle. Its very important to hit the rear tires hard otherwise your ass end will start to drift from side to side.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

we only use the front brakes to start the burnout, then release and let the blower and sticky tires do the rest.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

IVE HEARD ON A TH400 BURNOUT TECHNIQUE IS BEST TO START OFF IN SECOND GEAR THEN GET INTO THIRD ASAP ON A ALL OUT TRANSBRAKE RACE TRANNY...CAN SOMEONE THAT HAS MORE INFO PLEASE SHARE???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -