Bias Ply VS. Radial

Old 03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Goldmine
SHOW GUEST

Default Bias Ply VS. Radial

Looking for some input on this subject. I'm going to need new tires this season and was thinking about drag radials. My current tire is a M/T ET street 28x11.5. I have a 3500 lb car with ladder bar suspension running 12:30s. I Still like to go to the local cruise in, so DOT tires are prefered.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
onefaster
SHOW GUEST

I really like BFG's drag radials, but I hear from everyone Mickey's drag radials are better on the strip.

I drove with 275/60 BFG drag radials year round on a V8 S10, in rain, shine, sleet, snow, ice, etc. They are not exactly All Season tires, but I was surprised how well they worked in wet weather and even snowy weather. Must be the soft compound.

With good tread, they didn't seem to hydroplane as bad as regular street tires.
On 2 sets, I've wore them til the grooves were gone, then they hydroplaned at 25 or 30 mph on a S10. Violently. The rear end would kick out randomly and violently, at what felt like 45 degrees, in traffic. NOT cool.

I'm assuming you have radials on the front, and that you know you shouldn't mix bias and radials.
I've mixed radials on front and Bias on the rear, and had bad results. It hooked fine, but "squirmed" down the highway. It was so bad, I thought there was a suspension or chassis problem.

If I remember right, ET Streets weren't to bad with radials up front. I could be mistaken. It's been a while. Anyone else?