TRANSMISSION FLUSHER, JUNK OR NOT

Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
It also says changes fluid. It's pretty common to use a filter buggy on heavy equipment hyd system. Of course in some cases your talking about over 80 gallons of fluid so it is cheaper to use the filter buggy, change the filters a few times before you completly replace the fluid.

I don't agree that if it needs to be flushed it needs to be replaced. If their is something wrong and you think you can flush it to fix it then it's too late, but to just have it serviced is another thing.
I just had my allison trans fluid and filter change at the GMC place. $225 :shock: My trans does not have an internal serviceable filter. It's an external spin on.
Hey Rabbit, just so you know, all the Allison's I've seen in pickups do have an internal filter as well as a spin-on......

Johnny
Old 10-01-2010, 05:34 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
Originally Posted by TheRabbit
It also says changes fluid. It's pretty common to use a filter buggy on heavy equipment hyd system. Of course in some cases your talking about over 80 gallons of fluid so it is cheaper to use the filter buggy, change the filters a few times before you completly replace the fluid.

I don't agree that if it needs to be flushed it needs to be replaced. If their is something wrong and you think you can flush it to fix it then it's too late, but to just have it serviced is another thing.
I just had my allison trans fluid and filter change at the GMC place. $225 :shock: My trans does not have an internal serviceable filter. It's an external spin on.
Hey Rabbit, just so you know, all the Allison's I've seen in pickups do have an internal filter as well as a spin-on......

Johnny
That's what I thought, but one of the guys at the GMC place told me it didn't have a "serviceable filter" inside the trans, just a spin on. They also quoted me ($180 or $190. less than $200 I remember him saying) to completly service the trans. When I paid it was $272.51. There was a part # PK3106 ( description 310 106 is all the bill says) for $82.49 which I thought may be a filter. Either way I was kinda pissed because he told me less than $200 for everything a few days before.

The reason I took it to be flushed was so all the fluid, ie; cooler, convertor and pan could be changed, but almost $300 is redickulus (sp on purpose).
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
chevy582r10
SHOW GUEST

Transmission flushing is another one of those revenue generating services. All of the invoices I've seen for it have had between 20 and 30 quarts of transmission fluid listed in the parts list with labor in the $90 to $150 range. I've read in several of the automotive repair trade publications where some manufacturers are saying "do not flush" their transmissions. Probably a reason for that.

Roger
582r10
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Well... I could see it on heavy equipment such as Rabbit stated for example.
but it IS "Harbor Freight"... not exactly a stellar name...

I may not be an expert here, but I am pretty sure that I could buy a cheap fuel pump, get a few fittings/hoses, & make my own flusher for less than 50.00. Then I would just pour in the new...

Couldn't be too hard....

I hear of people doing this to cool down trans fluid at the strip between rounds...
Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Well... I could see it on heavy equipment such as Rabbit stated for example.
but it IS "Harbor Freight"... not exactly a stellar name...

I may not be an expert here, but I am pretty sure that I could buy a cheap fuel pump, get a few fittings/hoses, & make my own flusher for less than 50.00. Then I would just pour in the new...

Couldn't be too hard....

I hear of people doing this to cool down trans fluid at the strip between rounds...
Actually eaiest thing to do it get a good size funnel,lots of trans fluid,take off the pressure line at the Radiator (Use a piece of rubber 5/16 fuel line and run it to the Milk jug),use a gallon milk jug thats clean,have someone start it and add to it as it emptys into the jug.Just remember to turn off the car inbetween jugs... :wink:
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

On a side note.Not one transmission shop in my area will FLUSH a transmission.Only places around here arre the quick lubes and walmart stores. :roll:

Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Thats because they dont want to make ur transmission go out, by taking ur nice thick oil out. Jiffy lube and such dont care, just like when they change ur oil
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

as oil thickens & filter gets plugged the line presure will drop causing slippage......by..by ...tranny
Old 10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
IrvJr
SHOW GUEST

There are different types of machines. I personally own a T Tech machine and know the people who first developed it and built the first generation. I used it on my 96 Tahoe and it went 204k before i traded it in and the 4l60e was still shifting perfectly. This is considered a fluid exchanger. The fluid is moved by the trans pump so yes the vehicle is running. The benefit of this is that the fluid is forced back in with the same pressure that is normally present and as the old fluid is forced into the machine the new fluid is forced back into the machine so it never is run low. Thats how the valve body and converter are cleaned. A flush machine can be one with a seperate pump that a tech dials in to match the pressure out of the trans which leaves you depending on their diligence. As far as the filter goes, i changed it every 30-40k and i always felt if you kept the fluid clean the filter wouldnt need to be changed as often.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

ive done many flushes with that style machine and its a good style and it does flush old fluid out and usually only put in 15 qt but always have extra in hopper