Oil pressure too high.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

The only time I saw oil being forced out of a dipstick tube was on a Ford 302. The head gasket had blown and it was forcing compression pressure through an oil passage and pressurizing the crankcase. The car was in for a bad alternator. The dipstick tube was filling the alternator with oil, burning it out. A compression check located the bad cylinder, and a new head gasket and alternator fixed the problem.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Slngsht727
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by roadkill2
A quick 2 cents worth here . .

If he has extremely high Oil Pressure and has oil squirting out of the dipstick tube, he has TWO different problems . .

Better find out how much oil he has in it first.

Then figure out what (or why) the oil pump is being so efficient!
I have a great memory... just short. I had forgotten this. The first time we drove it around the block I saw smoke coming from under the hood. When I popped the hood, the oil filler was out and the dip stick looked like it had overflowed. I checked the oil and it was almost a quart over full. Seems that during assembly they did some pre lube, then poured in five quarts after installing the engine sometime later. I drained off less than a quart. At that point it had been driven 24 miles. I don't think it's overflowed from the dip stick since.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Slngsht727
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
That oil filter isn't ORANGE is it ?

:shock: :shock:
I relaced a Fram PH30 with same.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Slngsht727
Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
That oil filter isn't ORANGE is it ?

:shock: :shock:
I relaced a Fram PH30 with same.
stay away from them orange filters....... they can be deadly to a race engine
Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Slngsht727
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by fast75vega
i wonder if you to have a few blocked oil ports which i seen make the oil pressure run high. :? i know my motor in my drag idles at like 45-50psi and i get like 90psi on the gas
I think I'm going to try a new oil pressure sender and gage. Might be getting a bad reading if one of those are bad.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

i wonder if you to have a few blocked oil ports which i seen make the oil pressure run high. :? i know my motor in my drag idles at like 45-50psi and i get like 90psi on the gas
I think I'm going to try a new oil pressure sender and gage. Might be getting a bad reading if one of those are bad.
Try one at a time . . Then you not only will fix the problem (if it does) but you'll know what you fixed . .
Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Orange filters discussion:

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...am+oil+filters
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Slngsht727
SHOW GUEST

Try one at a time . . Then you not only will fix the problem (if it does) but you'll know what you fixed . .
Okay, so I had an extra sender in the drawer and decided to start with that. Swapped them out and fired it up. The oil pressure was about 35 psi. What a relief! I'm going to read about the orange filters. Thank you to everyone that responded.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Okay, so I had an extra sender in the drawer and decided to start with that. Swapped them out and fired it up. The oil pressure was about 35 psi. What a relief! I'm going to read about the orange filters. Thank you to everyone that responded.
i was figuring u were running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and line..... lol
Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Slngsht727
SHOW GUEST

i was figuring u were running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and line..... lol
Yep, that's my idea of trouble shooting... just keep throwing money at it until it works!

For a minute there, I thought I had me a new 350 Chevy boat anchor.