custom header cost and coating

Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 AM
fsdragster
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default custom header cost and coating

just found out i need to have special headers designed for my 69 chevelle due to front rack and steering linkage. also would like to know who does quality coating. ? reasonable prices for both are ? chevy big block 509 thanks frank
Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Best coating place for sure is Nitro Plate do a search and you'll find them
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I would try this 1st!!! Plus Tim offers Nitroplate!!!

http://www.fabshopheaders.com/
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
fsdragster
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

just checked out nitro plates web site and prices. IMPRESSED. thanks guys, nothing better than getting EXPERT advise from the EXPERTS. FRANK
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

fs, Tim is worth a phone call to. Follow the link in my original post and tell him Shawn Pinkerton told you to call and talk about those adjustable headers.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i just got back a tunnelram i had sent nitroplate to have coated with the brite,i aint none too happy with it. looks like it was painted with chrome paint. can see what looks to be runs in a couple places!!i dont know how they apply this stuff but mine looks like the worst case of orange peel i ever saw.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
i just got back a tunnelram i had sent nitroplate to have coated with the brite,i aint none too happy with it. looks like it was painted with chrome paint. can see what looks to be runs in a couple places!!i dont know how they apply this stuff but mine looks like the worst case of orange peel i ever saw.

Call and see what they say ... I am on intake # 3 .. first one didnt look as good as the last 2, because I cleaned the first 2 up with sand paper and a dremel before it went. I am 100% sure they will take care of any issue.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:04 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Hammer,

I have seen 2 different sets of headers come back from nitro plate, They look great.

One thing I can tell you about coating or plating something is the smoother the finish prior to coating the better your final product will look.

I can remember my first blower I sent off to have anodized coated. It was a non polished blower case and a polished snout.

When I got the parts back I was happy with the snout, it looked fantastic, but the blower case, It LOOKED LIKE SH_T!!!!!!!!

As a matter of fact, I bet it looked like the tunnel ram mentioned above...

I called the coating company up and asked them why the blower case looked so bad and their response was If you would have had a better finish on the case it wouldn't look so shi_ty.

They let me know they perform that service to polish surfaces prior to coating for an additional charge. They assumed I knew what I wanted and the work order did not have any notation for polishing the case. So, I got what I paid for.

Since then any time I send anything to get coated, it is smooth as a baby's a$$.... A show polish will give you your best results when coating.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 AM
fsdragster
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

is there a certain type of metal that should be used in making these. ( stainless etc.) was told by the fabricator around 1100.00. but that is not including coating.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I just got a set from lemons they are just metal, not stainless and I am getting ready to send them to get coated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -