Oil Pressure keeps dropping!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

And one more thing, get rid of that 50 weight,it just slows ya down, merry christmas everyone!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

:cry: :cry: I don't know guys there could be 2 things going on here common to BBC's.....the oil pump p/u might have vibrated out or....see as the engine warms parts stretch....and oil pressure is maintained thru the rods and mains dropps maybe 15-20lbs when warm....I had a BBC in the rush to put together forgot to check the rod journals the crank had been turned what I thought was .010/.010 only to find that the rods had been turned another .010 making them .020 under not .010 big drop in oil pressure when warm went thru all the senarios oil filter, adapter pressure relief spring you name it.....found it when pulled old engine down.....silly me :wink: :wink:
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I would not worry too much if you have 10psi per 1000rpm & it is on rise when you rev it up. I have a BBC that hits 75 cold & goes down to 20 to 25 psi when hot @ idle. Never had a problem. I agree with the prior post though... the sae50 is some thick stuff. I have larger tolerances & tend to stick with the 20/50 which seems to work fine. Is the motor broke in?