Switching from toilet to carburetor

Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

hammertime are you saying I run it just like the gas set up or should I use mechanical pump and surge tank? Thanks Mike
Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've seen several people use it just like you are, do I think its the best pump to use NO but have seen it work. If you were to upgrade the electric pump you'd be fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

if your gonna keep it on gas..get rid of the surge tank and plumb it straight from the tank to the carb,regulator 1st...how much motor you got ?.....the holley blue is a good reliable pump but i would not run it on anything much over 600hp..i don't care what any advertisment says about it being rated for more hp..

if you switch to alcohol...then you need a little bigger pump from fuel cell feeding the surge tank....i do not know why the person had a holley blue feeding alcohol to a surge tank...the holley blue is not even alcohol compatible..and its not NEAR big enough to supply the surge tank with alcohol...

make sure you got a #10 line from rear cell to surge tank....place the alcohol carb on and run yourself a cooler plug with a .030 to .032 gap..
i left my timing where it was (37 degrees) and it was fine..but try it and see where your motor likes it..

tell us a little about your motor ?

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Brian I think you'll find with that intake and alky carb it'll end up liking 33-35 degrees. My 468 picked up a bunch from 38 to 33 once I got it sorted out.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Brian here is all the info I have on the motor, 502, 814 HP on dyno, solid roller lunati cam, Lunati rods and pistons, Roslen 400 turbo, 6000 stall, 9"w/488s, Fiberglass third generation Camaro body weighs 2471 lbs with me in the car! I bought this car complete so anything said we will just have to wait and see, right now I am in the process of putting in an all new MSD ignition system. When I get back to the fuel system I will double check that pump but I have to pull the rear bumper section to get to it! This is my winter project. I also saw on Pro Systems web site an alcohol carb with a regulator where you run a vacuum back to the regulator any thoughts on that! Thanks Mike
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mican
Brian here is all the info I have on the motor, 502, 814 HP on dyno, solid roller lunati cam, Lunati rods and pistons, Roslen 400 turbo, 6000 stall, 9"w/488s, Fiberglass third generation Camaro body weighs 2471 lbs with me in the car! I bought this car complete so anything said we will just have to wait and see, right now I am in the process of putting in an all new MSD ignition system. When I get back to the fuel system I will double check that pump but I have to pull the rear bumper section to get to it! This is my winter project. I also saw on Pro Systems web site an alcohol carb with a regulator where you run a vacuum back to the regulator any thoughts on that! Thanks Mike
sell the 400 and Put in a Powerglide.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:28 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

814 hp you gonna need more pump than a holley blue for sure...there are many to choose from..i am fond of 2 pumps in this order #1- MAGNAFUEL PROSTAR 500...I buy the pump only and go with a systems 1 12 inch inline billet filter for space ( order it with the #12 ends)...Be sure when you pick a filter it is rated to handle the flow of the pump you buy..many people make the mistake up beefing up their pumps and leaving a lower flow filter...( BAD MOVE).
#2- Aeromotive...i have heard some say the magnafuel 500 is over kill but i WOULD ASSUME a person would want over kill in this area if anywhere..come up short and you got yoruself a burn't motor....Plus you have room to grow with this type pump will allow in future for :..Bigger motor,will run and support alcohol or gas,you can run the motor and nos off the pump..it puts out enough to handle both..will also feed that surge tank no problems

so yes its a little pricy but the way i look at it your gonna spend a minimum of $250.00 for a decent pump.( not top of line) ..why not go ahead and spend $150.00 more and get a awesome ( top of line) pump..that has room to grow and very versitile...

as far as the vaccum line..yes some people do this and also make their own bleed valves in the regulator's..specially the NOS regulators..they do not want any fuel creep what-so-ever on the Nos..

if you run a good up-to date carb ..like the APD or Ruppert..etc...that has the external linkage with linked secondaries..you will not have to bother with the vaccum line..i do not run one on mine......if you run the surge tank and thats fine..the surge tank has a fuel bowl on the side of it..so you will be holding steay levels at the surge tank...the manual pump works off the demand of the crank...so i think you will have a cool little alcohol set up..with a healthy pump in the rear pushing the alcohol to the surge tank..the manual pumps are either working or their not...so you will have no worries here..

if i had my druthers on alcohol..it would be a front mounted cell with a mechancial pump...just cuts down on a lot of wasted motion ( so to speak)..but a surge is great for cars with little space..i ran one 6 years ago.

good luck- Brian

Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

(f i had my druthers on alcohol..it would be a front mounted cell with a mechancial pump...) Brian...... I am so happy to finally hear you say that! You have been making it look like an electric pump was the way to go on alcohol with a carb. Don
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I also saw on Pro Systems web site an alcohol carb with a regulator where you run a vacuum back to the regulator any thoughts on that! Thanks Mike

Nice catch Mike,I was wondering when some of these guys that are saying you"need" a mechanical pump to run an alcohol carburator.
That regulator is the ticket.

http://www.pro-system.com/friendlydom.html

Like Brian's signature there is more than one way to skin a cat,right Brian :P
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by davis419b
(f i had my druthers on alcohol..it would be a front mounted cell with a mechancial pump...) Brian...... I am so happy to finally hear you say that! You have been making it look like an electric pump was the way to go on alcohol with a carb. Don
Don with all respect i DONT THINK THAT ARGUMENT WAS WITH ME..LOL...i never advocated one of the other...I only showed and explained that alcohol on an electric pump will work . regardless of theorys....the reason i went with the electric pump set up is because i had it..plus i had no room for a front mounted fuel cell nor did i want the extra expense of the cost of converting mechanical set up....Plus i switch back and forth GAS TO ALCOHOL...

Heck i have owned 4 alcohol blown injected cars ( #3 sub 4 second door cars and #1 high 3 second altered) all front cell mounted cam drive mechanical pumps.its the feesible way..but if you cannot do it this way...what do you do ??..stay away from alcohol altogether ?i am always the one to go the shortest and best route,,

but what i think you read from ME is that a electric fuel pump will work..i never tried to compare the 2 methods...nor have i ever tried to say one would work and one would not ..like some things i have read from other people in the past

there is more than one way do this alcohol to carb thing...and i have run both and both work..one may be more ideal than the other but both still works..

i wanted to clear this up..

my alcohol set up- APD Alcohol 1150 carb,Magnafuel pro-star 500 pump,Magafuel 2 port Reulator....runs fine.........i also flip flop back and forth to gas for street....
and the car is not an all out race car...its a pro-street legal car.

brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -