building a high rpm big block chevy

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
i disagree with alot of post on here, sorry, i have been busy, i will see if i can list some of the old 302" stuff soon.

this is what i remember right off...
an older 327, 350 block bored 030.
Either brooks or bme rods, dont remember the length
Forged crank, wet sump motor
dart pro 1 's with titanium valves
roller cam, i might find the specs on it...

It was built on a budget and didnt gernade

the orginal post said building a "9,000 rpm plus Big Block"..with no worries..

with all respect kwkracing you cannot even try to compare this type of engine the original poster made to a High rpm Budget Built Small block.

but just for conversation what type of parts and Money do you think it would take to build the type of Big Block he is wanting to build.

i ask this respectively..

thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Absolutely correct the original post does says B/BLK.

Note the subject line.

Zip.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Can you destroke a BBC to 200 CI, if so that would be the only way to have a 9000 rpm BBC without having a grenade in the oil pan. Under $15000.
Seriously if your mudracing why not build a small block chevy, its lighter up front and with NOS and or a blower can be comparable to BBC numbers. Then turn it like a prostocker.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Guys, thats no way to build a bomb.....

Thats how you build a bomb...

Thanks Zip
Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 AM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

Whats the deal with everyone scared to rip one up. A close friend of mine runs a 555 bbc with eagle crank and GRP rods, and spins it to 9000 rpm every pass. Another has a 598 bbf with Grp rods and spins it to 9000 rpm every pass. I run a 434 sbc with Lunati crank and GRP rods and spin it up to 9200 rpm every pass, sometimes up to 9600 rpm. I had a 532 bbc 4.625 bore x 4 stroke and turned it up to 9000 rpm every pass, it had a stock gm steel crank, and Bill Miller alum rods. The trick is in the valve train, you cant shimp there, T&D Shaft Rockers (or Jesel) are a must, well designed camshaft, good springs, strong push rods. We check valve train before each race and stay on to of springs. They are not low maintenance, but they winn alot of races. These are not drag racing engines, we mud race too. I can see where this may cause problems if you were running 1/4 mile maybe, but a run for us is under 3 seconds. So to the oroginal poster of this thread, it can be done and is done quiet often around here. The 555 bbc had been running for 3 seasons without a freshen up and upon teardown the bearings looked brand new. It will go back together with new bearings, same rods and crank with new rod bolts. It will get new pistons because we are raising the compression.

You must let your camshaft co know what you intend to turn so that they build the cam accordingly. We use either LSM, Harold Brookshire, or Bullet.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Sorryyyyyy! i posted it in the wrong message, there is a post for a 10,000 rpm sbc....... And they were asking me for details. Sorry to all i offended.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
Sorryyyyyy! i posted it in the wrong message, there is a post for a 10,000 rpm sbc....... And they were asking me for details. Sorry to all i offended.
No offense taken here Bro..i just wanted to know what you knew...lol

i do understand ANYTHING can be done..but putting the word budget and practical in the same sentence and making it sound convincing is tough on this Subject..i think Zip summed it up with his PRO-STOCK example.....IMO

i think the orginal post was a catch 22 post...if the 9,000 plus BBC didn't get you...the "WITH NO WORRIES" statement would.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
fennerflyer
SHOW GUEST

I have run a 540" BBC with a set of 14 degree brodix heads on it in a pulling truck for five years. The average run is about 14 seconds long. The engine spins between 8800-9200 EVERY single run. I use a Dart block, Bryant crank (4.25" stroke), GRP aluminum rods, and Venolia pistons (4.5" bore), the engine has a peterson dry sump, also have all titanium valves and good springs with T&D shaft rockers. I still run a standard diameter camshaft and lifters. I check valve lash and spring rate after each weekend of racing along with regular oil changes. The engine has won countless events and championships without a failure. So I would say it CAN be done.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fennerflyer
I have run a 540" BBC with a set of 14 degree brodix heads on it in a pulling truck for five years. The average run is about 14 seconds long. The engine spins between 8800-9200 EVERY single run. I use a Dart block, Bryant crank (4.25" stroke), GRP aluminum rods, and Venolia pistons (4.5" bore), the engine has a peterson dry sump, also have all titanium valves and good springs with T&D shaft rockers. I still run a standard diameter camshaft and lifters. I check valve lash and spring rate after each weekend of racing along with regular oil changes. The engine has won countless events and championships without a failure. So I would say it CAN be done.
I don't believe anyone is saying it can't be done. Look at the last sentence in bjuice's post above.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
i think the orginal post was a catch 22 post...if the 9,000 plus BBC didn't get you...the "WITH NO WORRIES" statement would.

I would have absolutely NO WORRIES twisting a BBC to 9 grand plus........as long as it wasn't mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -