ENGINE OVERHEATING

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM
6970nova
SHOW GUEST

Default ENGINE OVERHEATING

I HAVE A327 30 OVER WITH ALUMINUM HEADS RUNS FOR 10 MIN. AND SHOOTS UP TO 210 DEG BEFORE I SHUT IT DOWN IT HAS A HIGH FLOW W/PUMP A 3 ROW RADIATOR A FLEX FAN AND A FULL SHROUD WITH OR W/OUT A 160 DEG STAT TIMING IS 40 DEG IM LEANING TWARDS A HEAD GASKET LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THANKS BOB
Old 08-01-2008, 03:11 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Overheating

A leak test will tell you if it is a head gasket. Pull the plugs and read them as this will also tell. Could be as simple as a bad thermostat or lack of one. Without a thermostat the water could be flowing too quickly and does not dissipate enough heat through the radiator.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Had that issue myself... all in all, a process of elimination has to be done.
A few questions to narrow it down more... we can help better to know a few things first.

1. Anything new or changed in coooling system lately/reciently?
2.Any sign of coolant in oil or VS?
3. It does this 10 minute heat up with or without 160 thermostat? is that right? Has there been a leakdown or cyclinder pressure test?

4. Water pump: is it new? pushing coolant to fast? Electric or man? If electric, does it have a sender/relay/fuse failure?
5. What kind of fan... distance between it & rad?
6. Motor- is it newer/fresh install... hows the oil pressure? How about smoke/color? any white smoke?

7. Radiator... I think a 3 core is ok, 4 is better, but if one core has been comprimised, it can seriously cause blockage issues. Should do a bench flow test on the radiator alone... it could simply be blocked from coolant breakdown, long term corrosion etc... Do you have any external coolers (oil,etc..) mounted to the Radiator?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but 10 minutes or less means something is seriously comprimised & it is hard to say w/o knowing a few more things. Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 PM
alexu
APPRENTICE

Default overheating 327

I'd back the timing back to around 32-36, see if that helps

alexu
Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 PM
gimmemud
MASTER BUILDER

I agree, back the timing down some and also take a look at the plugs, a lean condition will make one get hot quick.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:08 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Check your gauge just incase. If its a electritric gauge some gauges aren't compatable with different sensers.
An intake leak will also cause it to heat up to fast.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I agree guys back down the timing, check plugs, perform pressure test and check radiator to see if it may be vapor locking.