unique situation

Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default unique situation

I have had a unique situation happen to me, just the reverse of what is usually put on this thread.
Last fall I sold thru ebay and got paid by pay pal, a 1940 chevy sedan delivery. The buyer was from Australia, he emailed me and called my cell number and asked could I keep it till the first of the year before he sent a commercial hauler to come pick it up. I told him not a problem. I haven't heard from him since, nor has anyone contacted me about the car. I tried to email him, but it won't go thru. Tonite I called him international long distance, got his answering machine and left message. At $3.88 a minute.
Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them?
dgh
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 AM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

thats a new one unless either guy fell on health issues or maybe was up to no good and got busted thems the only ideas i have
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dragonmaster093
thats a new one unless either guy fell on health issues or maybe was up to no good and got busted thems the only ideas i have
thats kinda what i was thinking too. if ya got paid already and its been that long... either resell it or donate it and write it off on your taxes.... after all how long are ya expected to sit on it :shock:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

never had it happen, did he ask you to send the title after he paid for it?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Odd deal. I guess you can't rule extremes like someone said (such as health) or the fact he could be dead.

If not, suspect he will want it shipped still; even if much later than you would expect. Perhaps a monthly storage fee is in order.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default unique situation

Harbone,
No he didn't ask for the title. In Georgia, where I live, you don't have to have a title for any car over a certain age. I'm not sure what it is, but the year 1987 comes to mind.

Scooterz,
I've thought about that. Matter of fact I contacted an attorney and he said the same thing, but he said I should contact him first and give him a time limit to come and get it, then tell him that I would charge him so much per day after that time limit. But so far, I haven't been able to contact him, unless he listened to his messages recently.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter. It's a help to me to know what other people think. dgh
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

A Friend of mine sold a car to a guy from another country. He told him to send it to a transmission shop in Florida. It sat there for 2 years before they got it!

When they came to his house to see the car he had 3 body guards with armor in hand! It was a large amount of cash being exchanged in his shop. The guy told my friend in advance that he would have body guards with him just as he does 24 / 7. They ended up drinking quit a bit of beer and bs'ing for several hours after the car deal was done.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
A Friend of mine sold a car to a guy from another country. He told him to send it to a transmission shop in Florida. It sat there for 2 years before they got it!

When they came to his house to see the car he had 3 body guards with armor in hand! It was a large amount of cash being exchanged in his shop. The guy told my friend in advance that he would have body guards with him just as he does 24 / 7. They ended up drinking quit a bit of beer and bs'ing for several hours after the car deal was done.

same thing here Rabbit when I sold my 63 vette to a guy out of the country he also arrived with a Body Guard..After spending a little time at My house and realizing it was just me , the wife and then a 4 yr old little Girl things became more relaxed, they stayed around a while, we drank Coffee at the kitchen table and he also took a shower at my house due to the SC heat..

CSX...If you don't mind me asking how long ago did he pay you ?...I have heard rumors of Pal Pay blunders ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
csx8506
SENIOR BUILDER

Default unique sitution

Bjuice,
I sold it to him on Nov. 27, 2011. I have gone back to my paypal statement, and have found his snail mail address. I will write him a snail mail letter, and send it, if USPS has it, a certified letter with signature required.
After calling him very long distance, and will snail mail him as above, will I have done enough? Hopefully he'll reply.

Thanking everyone for their input, dgh
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

looks likee you have been more than fair.if you dont hear from him after the letter then i would consider it your car again.but if it were me id wait until after the first of the yr.then sell it again.this time to someone in the states.14 months would be long enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -