ladder bar help

Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 AM
mikesramblur
JOURNEYMAN

what cam said.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

well i will put a plate on the frame connectors so that i can weld all the way around it and then put gussets and what not to make it strong.

also do you put the bottom shock mount on the outside or the inside of the ladder bar or dose it matter?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Mount rear shox outboard as far as you can straight up vertical for maximum control and tuning. Take into account the future possibility of using wider meats and a narrower housing.
Don't forget a 3rd link to control side to side movement. We had a previous discussion on this very thing here recently, different types, pro's and con's.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

ok and another thing since i am doing this with the leaf springs and slapper bars still installed and the leaf springs were sagging alot ( to the point were the back mount is touching the frame and the springs were flat and wavy) how do I go about setting ride height?

do I lift up the body of the car to were I want it then put in the springs?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

SOLIDLY support the car on jack stands, set the rear housing on jack stands at the ride height you want, then remove the stock springs.
IMPORTANT NOTE;
Take ACCURATE measurements (fore/aft/side-side) BEFORE you cut anything loose so it will go back the same.
ALSO MAKE SURE THAT CAR IS SOLIDLY SUPPORTED ! We'd all hate to hear that it fell on ya !
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

IMO ride height should be the first thing to determine. It dictates your pinion angle, front ladder bar placement, and shock mount placement.
Regardless, set the car up like DD said, 25-37% of the shock should be in the body to determine were to place the x-bar, hopefully you have spring that are weighted correctly. When that is done and you have the car at ride height rotate the diff to get your pinion angle, there is alot of info on this forum already just serach "pinion angle"
I would really try to use the leftover x-member to go between your frame conectors and rockers, notch it to go over your conectors and but up against your x-mermber, it will really help tie everthing together.
cam67152
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

see you are always about this pinon angle? it shouldn't matter in my case because i have the leaf springs and everything attached still and i am not taking them off till after everything is welded up and thats why i asked about ride height? since my springs were sagging and what not what do i have to do to set that properly?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
mikesramblur
JOURNEYMAN

if the springs are sagging so bad then replace them or add a leaf. bring it back to proper height then start. if you replace springs after everything is done your going to have all kinds of probs. cause your changing the ride height.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

no no i am leaving them in to keep the axle in place then after i get everything sorted out there coming off and thrown out. do i still have to put different ones in to set the ride height?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

If you are using coil overs it doesn't matter what height it is now. unless that is the height youwant.

move the axle up or down until its where you want it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -