GM Tech Needed For Info On Camaro Security System..I PAY!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks fellows for all the input..No I am not frustrated as I am too old for that...I have been sick and not able to go try anything lately but will try and check it out...I will make sure of the pump running, I will replace the filters on each car, I have not listened for the fuel pump when it is not running because that is a given NO or it would crank and I will read over all comments and report back...Thanks fellows and I will keep it updated as I can do some things..This is a prime example why it is a good idea to go to Racing Junk when you got a problem, race car, family car, or whatever...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
s10dragracer
CRAFTSMAN

Don't mean to still the thread but how would you disable the security feature on a 2000 Chevy Malibu?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

The keys with a chip in them are nothing more than a resistor. You can measure the resistance with an ohm meter and find the two wires leading from the ignition switch down the column and solder a resistor of the same value to disable it. I had a 98 Bonneville that broke the wire near the switch itself, but was able to repair the wire.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Now an update as I have been able to work on them again..The 1993 had a fuel filter that I repalced and has not stranded me since..LOL... simple things will bite you every tiime...The fuel pump in the 1999 is bad and it is a real chore to remove the tank and just have not gotten into it yet..It is a bad pump 100% sure now...I really appreciate all your input and if anyone can keep the thread going the have at it...Oh, and on the chip in the key... I had used an ohm meter as I still had the switch they had replaced so it was a perfect match and no resistor was placed in the circuit so everything is still intact...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by s10dragracer
Don't mean to still the thread but how would you disable the security feature on a 2000 Chevy Malibu?
Are you having a problem Travis or just wanting to do away with it working??? We will keep this thread open if that's ok with you...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Travis may not be having a problem, but i am with my 90 vette. About 2 yrs. ago the pump was replace with a ##%$# discount pump, also the computer was replaced with a #$%$# discount pump. everything worked fine until about 2 months ago. First i donot drive the car very much, but one day i head out to a 50 mile drive one way. I get about 5 miles down the road and the car stumbles picks back up, then shuts down.
2 hrs laters it starts and runs just fine, cannot get it to have the same problem. i changed the filter, clean the connections at the pump and at the computer, but they are gold plated and look clean. I disconnected the battery.
The tach and electric door locks have never worked in car and it has always had a fasten seat belts light on, and recently after cleaning the contacts the fuel gage does not work. This happened once before when i changed out the battery, but it started working a few days later by it's self, and now after disconnecting the battery, same problem.
I haven't driven the car for 5 weeks because i'm afraid to get stranded.

Help Appreciated.

Zip.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by tporter
Lotsof454ss, on the 93, I acquired one that was doing this, the fuel pump was bad. They had gotten one from a 'ahem' discount national chain and it did the same thing. It had pressure, just not quite enough. A trip to the dealer for a Genuine pump cured it. The difference in fuel pressure was only about 5 psi. Don't know if this will help. just throwing it out there.
That's what the one I referred to was doing Zip.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Chevy truck fuel pumps too

On the fuel pumps in Chevrolet trucks I can add this..I have now replaced 6 of them in the 1990 454 SS models and Chevy trucks up to 1993 with the 5.7 litre engine and 1 V6..I have used the same pump in them all and it is the Bosch pump from Advanced Autos and cost I think $44.95 my discount price and they have another brand that is about 10 bucks more and it works also in these engines no problems.. All the trucks had been sitting for around 3 months and not cranked so they go bad fast it seems..When I get in there I also find the rubber line from the pump to the metal line will be in bad shape and one it was in two pieces. So that don't help on the Camaros but does for Chevy trucks and Zip you might want to just replace your pump with one as it sounds like your problem. Oh yea, be sure and get the little filter that goes ON the pump also.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:54 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

ZIP, On your door locks I have worked on alot of Chevy's doing the same thing as yours and I get a can of contact cleaner and use it on the switches and they will work once they been douched out real good and just keep working them and spraying them. Now you of course may have a totally different problem since you describe trouble with the tach and fuel guage.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lotsof454sss
ZIP, On your door locks I have worked on alot of Chevy's doing the same thing as yours and I get a can of contact cleaner and use it on the switches and they will work once they been douched out real good and just keep working them and spraying them. Now you of course may have a totally different problem since you describe trouble with the tach and fuel guage.
I gotta get after it because it gets 25mpg, vs my duelly that gets 10mpg, and my El Camino i don't even want to talk about it's milage. Like you said it sets a lot of the time sometimes not driving it for a couple months at a time and then maybe a few miles at a time. i was thinking that i would change the pump out as a first deal, it's pretty easy on the vette, 1 hr. max, and maybe the sending unit on the gage might be rusted from condsation from just setting. In reality i've had the car for 9 years, and have only put 11,000 miles on it.

Zip.