ladder bar help

Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

-------
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 AM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Like DD said and I said earlier, step #1 set ride height. The x-member isn't upside down.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

ok well i did talk to someone the night i posted all the pictures and i gave a little write up of what he said i had to do.

basically i need to put the engine and tranny back in and put the slicks back on the car and let the car sit ground agian because it has a pretty good rake( or how ever you spell it) to it.

so what i plan on doing is just that but put something under each tire to raise the car up enough so i can work under there and still have the weight on all four tires and that should in theory rise that crossmember up enough

what are you guys thoughts on going about it that way

thanks justin
Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Aren't you swicthing to coilovers? if you are it doesn't matter what rake it has on it now :!: :!:

If it were me,
1. install engine and trans.
2. Jack up car and level it, support it on the rear FRAME to give you room to work.
3. support rear end and remove springs, dont forget to support the pinion.
4. put tires on. raise rear to were you like it.
5. remove tires, centre, level and square up the rear.
6. install drive shaft, support pinion angle at 0-1 degree down,
7. support the assembled ladder bars under the car level or slightly pointed down when in center hole. mark the location of the x-member.
8. cut everything out of the way, tack your x-member in
9. tack brackets to housing and x-member
10. doudle and triple check everything, weld it up!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

U should have the car with appropriate weight in the front. Have the car sitting on the front wheels and block the back to level the rockers. You are going to have to put your 2x3 cross member in between the inner rockers inside the unibody at the appropriate distance from the rear axle. you should plate the unibody around that area. Now, depending on your tire height you will know your axle centerline from the floor, divide half the total tire height. Place ladder bar brackets on the housing and on the front crossmember. If the car has a low ride height and has a tall tire the bars will point downward a few degrees. Now that in a perfect world you have the car sitting level or how you like, install the shock brackets as per the spec for you shock distance.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

X2 on the 2x3 crossmember location.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

you can start by notching your floor pan, in the area where the cross member goes.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

well thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it and if i run into some more trouble i will let you guys know
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

That's the way my crossmember is mine is 4 inches off track, my car will not go open trailer without boards to raise it up, my garage has a up hill ramp,'concrete'' and it drags when putting in garage :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by amcjunky
ok well i did talk to someone the night i posted all the pictures and i gave a little write up of what he said i had to do.

basically i need to put the engine and tranny back in and put the slicks back on the car and let the car sit ground agian because it has a pretty good rake( or how ever you spell it) to it.

so what i plan on doing is just that but put something under each tire to raise the car up enough so i can work under there and still have the weight on all four tires and that should in theory rise that crossmember up enough

what are you guys thoughts on going about it that way

thanks justin

buy/make some of those jack stands that mount to the wheel studs.They are used in auto body work when replacing panels. You will be able to see/access the suspension(no tire in your way)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -