BBC Steel Rods - K-1 Technologies brand - Who knows?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default BBC Steel Rods - K-1 Technologies brand - Who knows?

I am looking at K-1 Technologies BBC H beam rods for a new 496 engine.

I already have a 496 with Eagle rotating assembly and want to try to upgrade slightly without breaking a $500 budget range.

Anyone got results on these K-1's?

They are 4340 material, come with ARP 2000 bolts and weigh about 740 grams in 6.385" length. Forgings are overseas but don't know where they are machined.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Probably the same forgings that you already have, i would use what you have go to L19 rod bolts.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've ran k1's for 2 years going into 3rd year just put new rob bolts in them on freshen up. Decent rod, next time I think I am going to try the Callies Compstars.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I've had 2 engines come apart. Both times it was a rod bolt breaking. Ist time was in 1971 on a Plymouth 383. There were no aftermarket bolts at that time as far as I remember. The 2nd was an ARP2000 bolt and I went to the L19 after that one. Make sure to keep the L19 in oil until you install it. Exposure to hydrogen will cause it to lose some of it's strength properties. Once it is in the engine it will keep an oil coating to protect it.

http://www.jrmotorsports.com/product.cfm?InvKey=11732

http://www.centuryperformance.com/ar...e-spg-187.html
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
rodentinfest
APPRENTICE

Default Re: BBC Steel Rods - K-1 Technologies brand - Who knows?

Originally Posted by markdunlap
I am looking at K-1 Technologies BBC H beam rods for a new 496 engine.

I already have a 496 with Eagle rotating assembly and want to try to upgrade slightly without breaking a $500 budget range.

Anyone got results on these K-1's?

They are 4340 material, come with ARP 2000 bolts and weigh about 740 grams in 6.385" length. Forgings are overseas but don't know where they are machined.
k1 crank and rods are all china forgings just like everyone else. there is NO difference @ all. if you can get a good deal on these buy them. the bolt has little to do with breaking as people have said. the 8740 bolt is about 10 times stronger than what is actually needed. 190,000 psi is a lot and than that is x 2. the ability for the bolt to keep the cap preloaded is what makes the rod bolt and rod never come apart. if the stretch of the bolt is not around 80% of its yield, sooner or later with elongation events happening because of situations like rev limiter being hit all the time, rod bolts generally don't fail when stretched to proper yields. that lack of proper preload is always the case. L19 bolts are very hard and they loose nothing from just sitting around. there are things called manufactures defects that can happen to anyone @ any time, but usually the part fails because of the installer. when metals are made, there are procedures that are used to insure proper bonding and no bad bolts come out. it does happen but usually the heat treat or something else was over looked.

stock old 40 year old 3/8 gm bolts for the sbc and 7/16 bolts for bbc were used at rpms that the engine should of never seen and they never failed with stock rods and cranks. with today's manufacturing and technical advancements, the stuff that is out there today should never fail!