Front end question A Body

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Default Front end question A Body

Rebuilt the 68 Chevelle front end last weekend... (had lots of help; lol) did springs, shocks, tie rods, Idler/pitman, bushings (upper lower A -arms) etc... then did the wheel bearings. The car looks like it has BBC springs in it now.... but has SBC springs/SBC. Will it settle in some & come down some by itself? It went from low, low low to nose bleed.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

yes it will most def. settle.... give it a few weeks :wink: did you make sure the springs were seated in the lower perches right too?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Yep... my wise friend actually made sure of that. I ordered SBC springs w/"AC"... but it is a non-AC car... thought they may have just a little more support... I figured this could be part of the issue... but even AC springs could not possibly make that much difference... I think?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Yep... my wise friend actually made sure of that. I ordered SBC springs w/"AC"... but it is a non-AC car... thought they may have just a little more support... I figured this could be part of the issue... but even AC springs could not possibly make that much difference... I think?
if i remember right.... there is only 100 pounds diff in spring rating between ac and non ac springs :wink: i always went with ac springs too
Old 10-15-2011, 08:05 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Rigsby, did you tighten the A frame bolts with the weight, susp. on the ground. I allways tighten them up with the car on the ground, if not the car sits up high because the bushings are in a bind. I hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wazup
Rigsby, did you tighten the A frame bolts with the weight, susp. on the ground. I allways tighten them up with the car on the ground, if not the car sits up high because the bushings are in a bind. I hope this helps.
thats a good point too :wink:
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by wazup
thats a good point too :wink:
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Nope... he did it on the lift. Crazy... I did not even think of that??? Always something new I learn from mistakes. I have kind of gotten used to it & it has grown on me some though... kind of an old school stance. Alignment seems good, goes straight, etc... front end ops up & down a little more now between gears since the old lowered springs were so short from being cut... almost 3".
Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

POST PICS !

pleeeeeeeez
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Nope... he did it on the lift. Crazy... I did not even think of that??? Always something new I learn from mistakes. I have kind of gotten used to it & it has grown on me some though... kind of an old school stance. Alignment seems good, goes straight, etc... front end ops up & down a little more now between gears since the old lowered springs were so short from being cut... almost 3".
I would look at the bushings as after awhile will start twisting the rubber out of them. I have had guys that worked for me and did them on a lift and i have them put it on a drive on lift and tighten all the bolts. I would also have the custmer bring the car back after about 500 miles and loosen all the bolts and retighten as the car will settle. Good luck and sounds like your having fun.