What do you guys make of this??

Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Default What do you guys make of this??

I have never messed with shipping a car. Seems straight forward. Nothing like the usual overseas scam messages. Here is the message

Subject: Re: 1966 Nova
Re: Ad #2261914 - 1966 Nova
Hi Shawn,ive checked with my importer and its ok to import this car, what is the best time to call you?

thanks Leighton

My response was asking him what he would expect from my end on this deal. I will post a response if I get one.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I got the response and what he needs and advising he would arrange for pick up from my home to have it shipped to the west coast to be put on a boat and sent to him in Australia was I secured the funds. He even asked if he could call to talk tonight and made sure his time zone info was correct. So far, feeling some what comfortable.

Anyone that has shipped like this have some advice?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

He even asked if he could call to talk tonight and made sure his time zone info was correct. So far, feeling some what comfortable.

doesn't sound right, any computer savvy person can look up the time zone. I would guess it would come down to how are the funds comming. I would think a wire transfer to your bank would be the safest. Just open a new account just for that one transfer and get all the money before your car leaves home. There's some good racers in Australia, but i would guess there's also some scammers there too.

If he does call pick his brain, see what he knows about cars, that'll be a pretty hint if he's a scammer.

JMO

Zip.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default Foreign Scammers

If this guy says that he has a shipper/importer and says he sent you a check certified or other type check etc, for example $2000 more then your asking for your car and then asks you to then wire his importer that $2000 money from that check for shipping. Then its a scam. Dont send him or anyone else money. its the oldest scam in the book.

Once you get his check, immediately cash it. If you get green money in your hand ..then (Obviously) its OK and you can release the vehicle.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 PM
chads55chevy
APPRENTICE

Default foreign scammers

I had a problem on ebay with a scammer that wanted my 60 chevy Impala. I figured out real quick he was bad news. I did notice that foreign scammers never capitilized there I's like we do. They always wrote with bad grammer and always used a small i. For example: i like your car, i will send you a check, etc...
Bottom line is...until I have green money physically in my hands..nothing moves.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

This guy is straight up. Tried to call and flat out missed that call. Been in contact with him.

This is not the let me over pay and give cash back to the shipper deal.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
manley
JUNIOR BUILDER

if he is willing to wire you the money and all you gotta do is load it at your house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ship it! JUST MAKE SURE THE MONEY IS THERE BEFORE IT LEAVES!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Leighton Kelson is his name. Leighton is a very straight shooter. No problems at all except trying to talk with the time differences.