Whats with all the scammers on here lately?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
What are the problems with money orders?
I've had 14 sales on here and all I use are United States Postal money orders with no problems.
Same when I buy.
Just curious.
money orders can be canceled....we had a scheme going on here in chicago with apt rentals. scammer would use somebody elses ID to rent an apt & use money order to put down deposit.....Next day call & said I changed my mind, money order has already been deposited.....we issue a company check for refund, scumbag takes that check directly to our bank & cashes it.....five days later we get the charge back.....money order canceled at currency exchange the afternoon of the day there refund check is cashed.....just about every management co around us was getting hit the same way....even with money order make sure it clears before you ship!! I KNOW...I KNOW LONG STORY :roll:
Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Incognegro
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
I've had 14 sales on here and all I use are United States Postal money orders with no problems.
Same when I buy.
Just curious.
money orders can be canceled....we had a scheme going on here in chicago with apt rentals. scammer would use somebody elses ID to rent an apt & use money order to put down deposit.....Next day call & said I changed my mind, money order has already been deposited.....we issue a company check for refund, scumbag takes that check directly to our bank & cashes it.....five days later we get the charge back.....money order canceled at currency exchange the afternoon of the day there refund check is cashed.....just about every management co around us was getting hit the same way....even with money order make sure it clears before you ship!! I KNOW...I KNOW LONG STORY :roll:
My uncle lost over $10,000 taking Certified business checks. They cleared and about 1-2 months later were reported stolen, and the money was taken from his bank account.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Its all about common sense like Bjuice says. If the deal seems to good to be true, it probably is :!:

Here is some info right of the RJ faq pages.

Scamming
What can RacingJunk.com do if I got scammed?

A: We can supply you with any ad and account info if you are taking legal action against this person. If you can fax over documentation that proves you are taking legal action against this person, i.e. court papers or a letter from an attorney we can disable the account, and provide a legal entity with member/ad/message information that will help you with your pursuit of this person.

What can I do to prevent getting scammed

A: It is very important that our members notify us of any potential scams or scamers right away. In addition to informing us of potential scams, we strongly encourage our members to use an ESCROW account to complete any transactions that you are not making in person. We encourage members to use an escrow service to make sure that your transaction is safely done. An escrow service protects both parties involved in the transaction. Buyers receive and inspect the merchandise before the Seller is paid. Sellers receive their money if the Buyer accepts the merchandise. For more information go to www.escrow.com.

I hear a lot of complaining about Ebay on here but I have had my account for over 10 years and have never been scammed on a buy or a sale with over 500 feedbacks. I have bought a few things on RJ but mostly from business's and a few people I have met on the forum. It still all boils down to using common sense.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
Same when I buy.
Just curious.
My uncle lost over $10,000 taking Certified business checks. They cleared and about 1-2 months later were reported stolen, and the money was taken from his bank account.
OUCH ! I HAVE HEARD OF THAT HAPPINING, NOT TO US.........YET.