Fluidyne Cross Flow - 16 AN - Radiator - heat probs

Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

I know that the Hummers in the Army have their radiators tilted also and it keeps them running at the normal temp so the tilt aint the problem. What I am thinking is when you have the hood one it is not getting enough air thru the radiator to cool it down enough. Have you tried to see if it over heats with the hood off?? You might have to make a shroud or air dam to direct the air up and thru the radiator from the front.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 AM
jerpazz
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
I know that the Hummers in the Army have their radiators tilted also and it keeps them running at the normal temp so the tilt aint the problem. What I am thinking is when you have the hood one it is not getting enough air thru the radiator to cool it down enough. Have you tried to see if it over heats with the hood off?? You might have to make a shroud or air dam to direct the air up and thru the radiator from the front.
Yep - same heat with or without the hood, it does heat up slightly slower w/o the hood, but still gets up to same temps.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 AM
racecrafter
JOURNEYMAN

Kinda hard to see from the pics if you have a fluid recovery type of catch can or not. also how are you bleeding the air out of the system....tilted radiator is more likely to have a trapped air pocket if you do not bleed air out from the highest point in the system.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jerpazz

Thanks for the Harbor Freight tip - I'll check it out. Am already running 2 fans tho. (pull type) shroud sealed tight.. that's why am stumped.
here's your prob..pulling instead of pushing...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.jegs.com/p/Micro-Temp/Spa...60614/10002/-1
Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

Thanks for the Harbor Freight tip - I'll check it out. Am already running 2 fans tho. (pull type) shroud sealed tight.. that's why am stumped.
You see that your fans are on the front of your radiator where the air is trying to enter when you are traveling forward. You just may have mis spoken......... but you said that these fans are pullers. Well that will raise hell with air flow when you are driving. Verify that air is being pushed through your radiator to the water pump side when they are on. Otherwise switch the direction of the motors to correct the over heating problem.
Bruce
Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet

You see that your fans are on the front of your radiator where the air is trying to enter when you are traveling forward. You just may have mis spoken......... but you said that these fans are pullers. Well that will raise hell with air flow when you are driving. Verify that air is being pushed through your radiator to the water pump side when they are on. Other wise switch the direction of the motors to correct the over heating problem.
Bruce
Not trying to cause problems but he says at the top of the first pic that the fans are behind the radiator now. Just thought I would point that out just in case you missed it.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet

You see that your fans are on the front of your radiator where the air is trying to enter when you are traveling forward. You just may have mis spoken......... but you said that these fans are pullers. Well that will raise hell with air flow when you are driving. Verify that air is being pushed through your radiator to the water pump side when they are on. Other wise switch the direction of the motors to correct the over heating problem.
Bruce
Not trying to cause problems but he says at the top of the first pic that the fans are behind the radiator now. Just thought I would point that out just in case you missed it.
I did miss that info, thank's for the correction. It seemed too obvious based only on the picture.
Bruce
Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

No prob. Just didnt want you to think I was trying to put you down or anything.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM
jerpazz
JOURNEYMAN

yeah - sorry about that - I thought that old pic might cause confusion. I had the fans on the front to begin with - polarity pushing air through from the front, then built the fiberglass shroud for the back of the radiator and mounted them behind (in hopes that was my prob) - reversed the polarity to pull air through.

Am going to take a bit of everyones input here:
1- Infrared thermometer
2- larger crank pulley (or much smaller w/p pulley)
3- stand radiator more upright
4- use straight water and some cooling additive
5- slow down the flow
6- check into getting an aluminum/or iron hi perf pump

did I miss anyting ? - keep 'em comin - I appreciate the input.

It seems like such a small item after shoehorning this drivetrane into this car, but the heat definitely takes ALL the fun out of it. :?

Kinda hard to see from the pics if you have a fluid recovery type of catch can or not. also how are you bleeding the air out of the system....tilted radiator is more likely to have a trapped air pocket if you do not bleed air out from the highest point in the system.
racecraft --
The burp tank is mounted under the pass side fender, I've tapped the cap lever [release] and it never has air - straight fluid...
keep em comin. - Thanks everyone. !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -