BBC 496 BUILD

Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: BBC 496 BUILD

Well, here's my take on it, if you will be driving it on the street mostly, you won't want rectangle port heads as you will hardly get up to the rpm's to use the power, so with that being said, you can also get a set of some GM heads, open chamber 781's(last 3 digit's in the casting number) or 049's and put the bigger valves in them, spend more cash and have the heads worked fairly well, and stick in a cam in the 550-600" lift range and a good hyd. roller would work great. You could use a Scat, Ohio Crankshaft, Eagle or GM cranks to hold this power, change the main bolts to ARP hardware and the head bolts also, keep the compresion at 10:5:1 or less and you can run pump gas and have a great time for a good price every weekend of cruzin. Good luck.

ElkyJohn

Originally Posted by rapedape
HI GUYS! FIRST OFF THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I REALLY NEED SOME :lol: I HAVE A 454 OUT OF A 2000 CHEVY TRUCK CASTING 10237297 I WAS THINKING OF GOING WITH A 496 BUILD DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BLOCKS?? WILL THIS BE A GOOD BLOCK TO USE. ITS GOING INTO A STREET CAR BUT I'M LOOKING TO GET ANYTHING IN THE 500 HP ++ RANGE IF POSSIBLE?? IF SO DO ANYONE HAVE ANY PARTS RECONMENDATIONS. ALSO I WANT TO GO WITH SOME AFTERMARKET HEADS. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED GREATLY THANKS!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by elkymann
Well, here's my take on it, if you will be driving it on the street mostly, you won't want rectangle port heads as you will hardly get up to the rpm's to use the power, so with that being said, you can also get a set of some GM heads, open chamber 781's(last 3 digit's in the casting number) or 049's and put the bigger valves in them, spend more cash and have the heads worked fairly well, and stick in a cam in the 550-600" lift range and a good hyd. roller would work great. You could use a Scat, Ohio Crankshaft, Eagle or GM cranks to hold this power, change the main bolts to ARP hardware and the head bolts also, keep the compresion at 10:5:1 or less and you can run pump gas and have a great time for a good price every weekend of cruzin. Good luck.

ElkyJohn

HI GUYS! FIRST OFF THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I REALLY NEED SOME :lol: I HAVE A 454 OUT OF A 2000 CHEVY TRUCK CASTING 10237297 I WAS THINKING OF GOING WITH A 496 BUILD DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BLOCKS?? WILL THIS BE A GOOD BLOCK TO USE. ITS GOING INTO A STREET CAR BUT I'M LOOKING TO GET ANYTHING IN THE 500 HP ++ RANGE IF POSSIBLE?? IF SO DO ANYONE HAVE ANY PARTS RECONMENDATIONS. ALSO I WANT TO GO WITH SOME AFTERMARKET HEADS. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED GREATLY THANKS!!!

Thats just it though. To have a set of 781/049 heads worked over in porting, bigger valves/seats, and to have the port material removed to accommodate the additional airflow for the larger valves, you may as well buy the Dart Pro1 Oval Ports and be done with it.

Out of the box, they will make more power than any worked over GM head, and you don't have to worry about core shift and breaking through into the water jackets of the GM head during porting.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by elkymann

ElkyJohn

Thats just it though. To have a set of 781/049 heads worked over in porting, bigger valves/seats, and to have the port material removed to accommodate the additional airflow for the larger valves, you may as well buy the Dart Pro1 Oval Ports and be done with it.

Out of the box, they will make more power than any worked over GM head, and you don't have to worry about core shift and breaking through into the water jackets of the GM head during porting.
Yep, those heads would be reeeeal nice on that engine. I guess it all depends on the pocketbook though. Good reply GMC.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPERCIATED.!! AND FOR THE NAME YOU WOULD BELEIVE IT IF I TOLD YOU :twisted:[/quote]

Try us, I gotta here it. :arrow:
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPERCIATED.!! AND FOR THE NAME YOU WOULD BELEIVE IT IF I TOLD YOU :twisted:
Try us, I gotta here it. :arrow:[/quote]

Yes inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Raped ape is the cousin of "striped ass ape"
Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 AM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

OK GUYS IM BACK !! THANKS FOR THE ADVICES. JUST PURCHASED A ROTATING WITH A FORGED CRANK EAGLES WITH EAGLES RODS AND JE FORGED PISTONS. AS FOR AS THE TOP END I WAS THINKING GOING WITH SOME AFTERMARKET ALUM HEADS. I WAS THINKING EITHER AFR OR PRO 1'S WITH A BUMP STICK WITHIN THE 550-600 LIFT RANGE WITH A DUAL PLANE INTAKE AND A 800-950 RANGE CFM CARB SHOULD I BUY THE HEADS BARE OR ASSEMBLED? THE COMPRESSION SHOULD BE AROUND 10-10.5 : 1 FOR PUMP GAS WHAT KIND OF POWER TORQUE SHOULD I HAVE ??
Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 AM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

AS FOR THE NAME IT WAS AN OLD HIGH SCHOOL TRACK TEAM JOKE BUT AT THE AGE OF 31 WITH A COUPLE OF KIDS IT SHOULD BE CRIPPLE APE LOL :lol:
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

OK GUYS IM BACK !! THANKS FOR THE ADVICES. JUST PURCHASED A ROTATING WITH A FORGED CRANK EAGLES WITH EAGLES RODS AND JE FORGED PISTONS. AS FOR AS THE TOP END I WAS THINKING GOING WITH SOME AFTERMARKET ALUM HEADS. I WAS THINKING EITHER AFR OR PRO 1'S WITH A BUMP STICK WITHIN THE 550-600 LIFT RANGE WITH A DUAL PLANE INTAKE AND A 800-950 RANGE CFM CARB SHOULD I BUY THE HEADS BARE OR ASSEMBLED? THE COMPRESSION SHOULD BE AROUND 10-10.5 : 1 FOR PUMP GAS WHAT KIND OF POWER TORQUE SHOULD I HAVE ??
I'd go with a bigger bump stick, personally. A 550-600 would be good in a 454, but with nearly another 50 CID, it needs a bit more. Something between .625-.650 and around 240-250 @ .050 would be my thoughts. You would be best, however, to contact Bullet Cams and have them recommend something appropriate. http://www.bulletcams.com/

Bullet Cams is all the guys from Lunati, and they made some bad ass cams. I think their R35 profile (roller) would work awesome in that motor.

If you're going to keep the RPM's at or below 6500, go with a 265-275cc oval port.

If you want to wind it up, 320-325cc rectangle port.

With any set of assembled heads you buy, plan on a valve job and having the spring heights set correctly. In mass production, both of those components usually don't get the greatest attention to detail.

Ya really should have gotten the cam before the pistons. At this point, you don't know how much lift the pistons can take, do you?

Power wise... 550-600 should be attainable.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 PM
rapedape
APPRENTICE

WELL I THINK THAT THE BARE HEADS WILL BE MY BEST BET AND HAVE THE VALVE AND SPRINGS PUT IN AT THE MACHINE SHOP. AS FOR THE PISTONS I DONT KNOW. SHOULD I WAIT TO AFTER I GET THE CAM BEFORE I INSTALL THE ROTATING JUST IN CASE I NEED SOME DIFFERENT PISTONS. MOST WILL EXCHANGE PARTS IF THE PARTS HAVEN'T BEEN USED. 550-600 WILL BE NICE BUT I KNOW TQ IS WHAT MAKE STREET CARS GET AROUND. I PLAN ON MAYBE IN THE FUTURE PUT A SMALL SHOT ON IT. WIL LTHAT EFFECT THE PARTS I BUY NOW AS FOR AS THE TOP END

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -