Oil accumulators

Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 PM
LuckyDawgRacing
CRAFTSMAN

Default Oil accumulators

Are there any drawbacks to running a pressurized one other than added weight? Its for a wet sump BBC:shock:
Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I highly recommend an accumulator on a drag engine with a wet sump. It is great insurance, and I won't run without one on a dragster.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
LuckyDawgRacing
CRAFTSMAN

I found a used moroso one right up the street. supposedly off an blown engine. If I clean it out do you see anything wrong with using it or is that too risky.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by LuckyDawgRacing
I found a used moroso one right up the street. supposedly off an blown engine. If I clean it out do you see anything wrong with using it or is that too risky.
I would do it in a heart beat. We run them on all of our motors.

Mark do you suggest running a filter with anti-drain back valve? I read somewhere about it directing the oil to the engine instead of the filter and the engine. Haven't really had a problem but if it makes thing better I thought I might start running filters with it.

Curtis
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I have mine plumbed after the filter. I have a manual shut off valve that I close while running at the end of the night to prelube at the next race. The biggest issue on the dragster is when braking at the end of the burnout and end of the track. Some opt for an electric solenoid which is nice.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
LuckyDawgRacing
CRAFTSMAN

Default accumulators

guys your comments just decided this for me. I just wish someone would have reccomended this to me years ago. Looks to me you're nuts not to run one at least with a nice engine. By the way can you give me an idea of what kind of electric solenoid you're talking about,...... off what?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Canton(Accusump) and Moroso both have solenoids that can be wired to switch on and off with the ignition or manual switched. You would cry if you knew the damage I suffered when I put my first dragster together without an accumulator...
Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I'm using the Moroso filter adapter and plumbed in there. I have the solenoid valve on mine, makes it a lot easier, don't have to remember to open and close the valve. I think so many people do not realize how much damage they do stopping the car. Everyone thinks they do the damage under power. We were at a track over the weekend with a short shutdown and I would have hated to stop my car there without the accumulator.

Curtis