Can this be done?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

Default Can this be done?

426 cubic inches out of a factory 400 block?
I dont see how without having paper thin walls between 3&5 and 4&6
see it here:
http://www.pawengineparts.com/420_426_4B_Chevy.html
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Doesn't look bad . Ask them if you can get copy of sonic test results. If they say we don't do that. Ask them how they know how thick the walls are. If available pay extra for sonic testing.

I built what is probably the largest Factory Small Block chevy anyone has done with factory cylinder walls and factory block at a big 440 cu in. I did it once. Probably will never do it again. At that time no one was making any special stroker rods like they are now.

LIke I said, it can be done. I do not suggest o put much nitrous on it if you do though.

Many years ago a guy built a 452 cu in SB Chevy using a factory 327 block. That one was something else and very expensive to build. lol.

The core shift tolerance from the factory on the 400 blocks was beyong belief, it was so bad. One block may have thick walls all around and could bore to a 4.185 the next ten might not be able to make a 4.165 bore. and some wouldn't even make a 4.155 bore. Many people try to go by casting numbers to tell which ones are good and which ones aren't. Maybe that makes a difference and maybe it doesn't. I find good 4 bolt and 2 bolt blocks and I find bad blocks in both.

Ed
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

Ed do you ever sleep for christ sakes????????
anyhow seems funny after all the talk about not even trying to go up to .060 over on a 400 block which off the top of my head is 408 cu inches.
Now i wonder if resleeving with a stronger material would help?
BTW luckely my 406 was sonic tested with great results.
high nickel block to boot.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

.060 over isn't all that bad with most of the SB 400s. It's the stroke that is pumpin it up there. But they are advertising "pistons fitted to rods" and "High Temp Chevy Orange". Run, don't walk away from these guys. I am Especially impressed with the rod bolts, LOL
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Davebat,
You have to know who they are and thier history to understand.

PAW and Speedomotive were two of the early crate performance engine builder/sellers. The filled a niche in the market for guys to be able to buy fully assembled engines or partially assembeled engines, or just engine assemblies at a low cost.

PAW is a huge company that also builds and supplies engines and kits. Thay are a wholesale warehose that sells several different brands. At least that is what they were.

The person who is doing the webpages and the people who do the marketing and promotions are pencil pushers or keyboard workers. They don't know what chromolly is, I imagine or any other alloy.

In the past the standard PAW Rods were factory Chevy rods resized, and peened with Milodon 180,000 psi bolts in them. The parts were good used parts but are tested and inspected.

IT is a good and low cost way for guys to get them a budget performance engine that will likely be reliable. I have not heard any negatives about the PAW or Speedomotive assemblies.

Ed
Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Davebat,
The person who is doing the webpages and the people who do the marketing and promotions are pencil pushers or keyboard workers. They don't know what chromolly is, I imagine or any other alloy.
Ed
Guess that would explain the advertising for the pretty orange paint. Your right, don't know their history, hope they are as good as they used to be then. Not a bad price. just the page layout and their points of interest said CHINESE all over it to me.
Sorry