aluminum rods compared to h beam rods

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i would be scared to buy used but there where some almost what you needed but not the right length. We have ran stock rods, steel rods and aluminum rods. LoL! Stock rods get about 3 passes before one kicks out, steel really are not right, you can get billet and titanium rods for about 3'ks. A nice set of aluminum rods for 1200-1400hp motors are about $1200 new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBC-H...spagenameZWDVW

[/img]
Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I knew a guy who insisted on using a used set of aluminum rods on his blown sbc. We called the car the lil green booger. He spent 6500.00 rebuildoing his entire engine using used high dollar parts.
22 runs later after running 8.20 all day he destroyed his entire engine rods and pistons sprayed the track, But she sure ran.
It is a gamble, heck you could buy all new parts and have they same thing happen.

Seems to me your taking more of a chance on used vs. new
Maybe try to save a buck somewhere else and spend a lil xtra on the bottom end.

After all The Bottom End is the foundation of raw power and Preformance. Use it, Don't abuse it!!!!!!!!

If your gonna abuse a bottom end, abuse the lil ladies. The cost of repair may be just a lil cheaper.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

well looks like i'll hunt down a couple of harley's to paint and sell my rods and buy NEW ALUMINUMUM rods,,thanks everyone for the inputs on this subject.