671 blower HELP!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:31 AM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by kwkracing
lol, theres not much to replace in a blower. 4 bearings, 4 seals, some gaskets and aerobic sealer. AS long as the blower does not appear to be self destructing inside the clearances are probably close if someone had it apart. They are pretty simple. so is this a old detroit blower with weiand endplates? Can you upload a pic?
If the engine started smoking blue and the the enginge has no problems, its the seals. Seals can also be damaged when some one slides them on in a rebuild. If you bought it on ebay, i see plenty of people take a stock wore out blower apart, put it right back together and say its rebuilt. A wore out blower is still a good start .I guess if its leaking out the front cover, it would be hard for you to monitor the oil level in the blower. Is this a street car?
I am thinking it is an old detroit blower with weiand end plates, it is a street setup that will see a little strip action, it started smoking a little, and now it seems it is getting worse, no problems with the engine, it runs great, I used a siphon pump and siphoned most of the gear oil out last night so i can take the front cover off, also this front plate did not have any type of breather on it, what should I look for, if you give me a email address I can email a pic of the blower.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:28 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

[email protected]

i sent you a pm.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

[email protected]

i sent you a pm.
I am sending you some pix, I hope they go thru, my email provider is a POS
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

You don't need a pressure relief in the front cover.

In fact, the worst thing you can do on a street blower IS have one.

Every time the blower goes into boost, if that case isn't pressurized, it is once the boost hits it.

When it gets pressurized, some fuel goes into the gear case. If you have a pressure release on the front, you release the pressure, and next time more fuel goes in when it hits boost again.

Rinse and repeat a few hundred cycles, and you've now contaminated your gear lube with fuel.

I tell anyone with a street blower to keep their hands off that pressure relief. They're hurting more than helping by continually removing pressure, unless they are frequently changing the gear lube out.

So, either leave it without a pressure relief, or put one in it and keep your hands off it.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
godspeed2u
SHOW GUEST

[email protected]

i sent you a pm.
HEY BUDDY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, GOT THE CAR RUNNING "NO MORE SMOKE!!!!!!"