Just wont idle....argggggg!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: p/v

Originally Posted by maydayneal
Originally Posted by bbchevy
Pull the Bowl off,turn the Plate on end that the Power valve is Down.Put some type of Thin Liquid(Carb Cleaner,Brake Kleen)in the Threaded hole that the Valve Screws into,if it runs Threw,the Diapham is Bad!
Or you can use a Vac.Pump.They actually make a P/Valve tester.But,you can usually see if they are Blow!
Hope this HELPS?
Later
G 8)
Ok....I pulled the primary bowl and metering block off and guess what??.....the dang power valve has a plug in it......

So help me understand the reasoning behind that move??......I guess for racing applications....which this is a bracket engine.

Atleast I know now that its not a blown power valve.....but not sure what this means about the idle issue....

Thoughts?
If someone has plugged the power valves, did they jet up afterward. When you plug your powervalves you usually have to jet up 6 to 10 sizes.
Maybe something to check.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Going to purchase a temp gun to check the exhaust temps on each cylinder just to see if we have anything funny going on. Those guns have become really resonable in price and a quick way to check individule cylinder issues.
I use a spray bottle of water ( $1 walmart ) spray each header pipe with the water, if the water vaporizes on contact, it's firing, if not then you got a weak or misfiring cylinder = just a thought> Cp
Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

....the other thing I was thinking...if this has an electric fuel pump....chk the pressure at the carb...should be 7-7.5 lbs....if it is higher adjust the regulator down...