Opinions??

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
knova70
SENIOR BUILDER

Get it out of the owners name within atleast a week after you traded or suffer the consequences, You should have done this no sooner than you got the car home,Legally the car is still his as long as it is in his name,Look it up that is the law! He could have reported the car stolen,so be glad he did you a favor and didn't and just took it on his self and junked the title. Don't take this the wrong way, Just look at this as the truth. my 2 cents...........
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

I thought a "bill of sale" would cover everything, regardless of when the title is transfered???

If something happens where you become assocated with the activity because the title is still in your name then showing a signed bill of sale should be enough to CYA.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

out of couriosity i called dmv yesterday, lady said a signes bill of sale covers the seller incase anything happens until legal transfer is completed.all liability is transfered to the buyer until then.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

ops: ops: Ok now i see the problem, guess i had a brain fart :lol: :lol:
Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

I don't think the DMV varies that much from town to town,or state to state for that matter.I contacted the local DMV,and was advised to do what I did.I guess they told me to do something "illegal"?

There was no "bill of sale".That's something you give someone when there is no title.There was no notary papers,which there are several copies of(one of which I could have kept).The state of Kentucky has done away with the three or four copy "notary paper",several years ago.Now all you do is sign the back of the title,and it's up to the buyer to finish it up,unless of course,it can be taken to the DMV right then and there,which couldn't be done in this case,as it was a weekend.

He dropped the ball,not me,so don't blame me for his incompetence.Would ANY of you loan me YOUR car for a month or so,to drive as my own,doing whatever I wanted in it?Do you think for a second,that you would NOT be liable?The person the vehicle is registered to is liable for the vehicle.End of story.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 AM
speedy121
SHOW GUEST

well im not going to talk about it any more im seeking legal action . i talked to a lawyer this morning and he said that i could do some thing about it..................
Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

It'd probably be easier on you,and most certainly cheaper to drive up here and go to the DMV and straighten it out,but you suit yourself.It definately makes no difference to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

gsforless, relax dude.

This thread has gotten crazy, the bottom line is if speedy agreed to get the title work done in one week, then he should have, regardless of any state or federal laws, despite whoever is responsible for the car legally.

What it boils down to, someone didn't keep their word, why it wasn't kept doesn't matter. If gsforless wants it out of his name in one week, and that was the agreement, then what is the problem? Parts removing/swapping, not being honest, misrepresentation, all that should be addressed at the time the deal is being made, (although I would have mentioned it as well while complaining about the title). If you made your deal, be happy about it and stand by your word.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I'm not going to voice a opinion either way on these matter.

but i live in KY also and i sold a truck to a guy in Ohio and just signed the back of the title and it was notarized in front of a notary and he didnt put the title in his name i got lucky that it was never involved in a accident but when it came time for me to renew the plates on all my other vehicles i had to pay taxes on that truck again in order to get plates for my vehicles because the title had not been taken out of my name .

I got his name and number and gave it to the DMV and they contacted him and removed my name from the title .

It will never happen to me again thats for sure we will both go to the DMV and get it changed right then . To many things can happen.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
gsforless
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
gsforless, relax dude.

This thread has gotten crazy, the bottom line is if speedy agreed to get the title work done in one week, then he should have, regardless of any state or federal laws, despite whoever is responsible for the car legally.

What it boils down to, someone didn't keep their word, why it wasn't kept doesn't matter. If gsforless wants it out of his name in one week, and that was the agreement, then what is the problem? Parts removing/swapping, not being honest, misrepresentation, all that should be addressed at the time the deal is being made, (although I would have mentioned it as well while complaining about the title). If you made your deal, be happy about it and stand by your word.
Well put!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -